Illustrated guide to astronomical wonders...WOW

WayBig

Received this at the weekend as an early Christmas present, following recommendations from fellow SGLers.

WOW..what a book. There seems like enough in there for a lifetime's viewing. I love the way that it's ordered by constellation, so you spend time observing items in the same area of sky when that constellation is best placed. The pictures are generally "realistic" and representative of what you might see

It has slightly sarcastic, dryly humorous descriptions of some objects...M42 gets 5 stars on a 4 star rating scale beause the authors think it's worth it, other objects are chastised; their best characteristic being that they are easy to find.

It seems a very natural progression from TLAO.

The only negative point that I can think of at this early stage is that it's paperback and small print so isnt particularly good to take outside in the dark.

But I can't wait to start using it to find more objects in familiar constellations.

Archived