Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do you keep warm outside.

SirFoo

With the weather reaching minus 10 where I live but the sky being magnificently clear I was wondering if we would all like,to share our tips on keeping warm. I myself make sure I'm well wrapped out with many layers on and use a thick pair of gloves. It does seem to be hands and feet that get cold. Does anyone out there have any suggestions that may make Tue experience outside more pleasant. I know my suggestions are not exactly original. I suppose thats why I'm asking:confused:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my feet in very cold conditions I go with heavy duty thermal walking socks and wearing my Brashers walking boots. For legs I have thermal long-johns under jeans.

For my upper body I go with four layers - t-shirt, thin jumper, fleece, winter coat.

Gloves definitely - but they are on and off like yoyos when I'm sketching! I also have a decent wooly hat for my head :)

I find that upper body layers are vital - as well as tucking things in!

Lower body I wear jeans and a pair of tracksuit bottoms.

Feet some really good Nike trainers which have a good 'running sole' are really quite warm.

A hat is obviously essential and gloves if I can find them help too.

For me the thing that keeps me most warm is actually a cushion on my observing chair. Amazing how well it works but turn it over or bring it in if you have a break as it will get especially cold otherwise! If you have a warm and comfy bum, for some reason you don't feel the cold!

Two pairs of socks One thin then Thicker pair on top (when ever any long distance walking also) Long Johns (thanks mom :) ) nothing like the cowboy look !!

T-Shirt or longs sleeve s-shirt and a Hoodie.

Hoodies are your friend, beat the chavs at there own game!!! seriously hood up or down they add extra warmth around the neck.

Long over coat it must reach half way down the thigh.

Gloves, Scalf, wooly hat.

BIG BOOTS :p

job done

2 pairs of socks & heavy walking boots for the feet. My trusty Ushanka (Russian hat, you know the ones with the ear flaps) for my head. Padded one piece fishing suit for the body. Seal skins gloves which are surprisingly warm but thin and grippy for the hands.

I may look like the michelin man but hey Im warm and if your warm you can stay out longer.

Philj

Seal Skinz socks over a pair of merino wool socks and gortex walking boots, two sets of merino wool base layers (long johns and long sleeve t-shirts). Fleece track suit and then wind/water proof jacket and trousers. On my head I wear a windproof thermal with ear flaps

For my hands I have lightweight merino wool gloves as a base layer, they never come off, with oversized mittens when I'm not using my hands

Can you tell I like merino wool ?

Wow Phil, the thought of you in one of "those" hats with the ears...all credibility now gone:p:D..

I agree with the multiple light layers rather than one or two heavy ones.

Also, try getting a square or cirlce of wood/mdf etc to stand on or place your chair on. It really does insulate your feet. I learned this years ago when fishing in sub zero temperatures..the wood provides insulation between the ground (especially concrete and hard surfaces) and your footwear. Try it:rolleyes:

The whisky ploy doesn't work...but there are a million other reasons than keeping warm for taking a "wee dram"!:)

cheers

Dave

Rugby under armour base layer leggings and long sleeve top, jeans, T-shirt, Hoodie top and fleece jacket. I add a skiing jacket if it's really cold. Two pairs of socks, thin then thick and Karrimor KSB walking boots and I stand on half a foam camping mat for better insulation 'caus I really feel the cold in my feet. I wear either fingerless gloves if I'm sketching or thin leather gloves and a woolly hat.

A drop of whisky after packing away for the night does wonders.

Rik

Thermal undies (a must!), track suit bottoms, thick socks, wellies, T-shirt, thick jumper, fleece, coat, gloves, ski-style balaclava, woolly hat.

The best item of clothing is a 10 metre USB cable so I can do most of my imaging from inside the house!! :)

Thermal underwear, wool socks, snow boots (thick soles make a massive difference), couple of long sleeved thin t-shirts, body warmer, hooded top, long jacket with hooded top, wool gloves.

Basically, the same gear as some of the footballers wear these days hehe.

Are there decent heated gloves or something like that? Being an "older gentleman" my blood pressure tablets have the effect of reducing the circulation in my hands and I get white fingers which get so so painfully cold outside. Any ideas?

This past year I've discovered down filled jackets. Y'know, the Puffa type ones. The more Michelin man the jacket looks, the better. Best thing ever. Another vote for merino wool longjohns here too. And all hats aren't equal, even the beanie types, some are warmer than others, but I don't know why.

Archived