Narrowband

5-6 mm eyepiece

mmimmi

Hi,

I have Skyliner 150p f1200, I have 10mm and 25mm eyepieces that came with the telescope, but I don't like the view they show. I wonder what would happen if I get a 5,5 mm or 6 mm eyepiece. What objects will I be able to see better and what worse. I want to watch deep sky objects mostly and wonder will they be clearer in that short eyepiece and if not what should I get?

Hi Mmimmi,

A 5mm eyepiece will give x240 in your scope which is very high power - usually used for the planets.

For Deep sky objects you need lower powers - around x50 which would be a 24mm eyepiece - which is close to what you already have !!

Deep sky objects will not improve with higher magnifications - they will just get fainter.

The standard eyepieces that came with your scope are not the best, as you have a Dobsonian I would suggest you upgrade your eyepieces to something a little better quality and with a wider field of view - this means the object in the eyepiece will not move out of the eyepiece view quite as fast.

I'm afraid that not even a 12" scope will show images that you see in the books.

HTH

Something around the 13-16mm mark will work well as a deepsky workhorse. The slightly higher medium power will improve contrast between the object and the background sky. And a lot of deepsky objects need a medium to high power to even be seen. The small planetary nebula fall into the category, some are truly tiny and only appear as stars in low power, making them impossible to spot. Powers of 70-100x will allow them to be seen against the background stars. The smaller galaxies also respond better to medium power. And globular clusters need medium power to start resolving the stars in the cluster, although they still look nice in a widefield setting too.

And as you have a hole in your eyepiece range anyway, i would recommend a 15mm widefield eyepiece. This could also be barlowed for planetary use and a nice comfortable power of 160x. A widefield design eyepiece will be beneficial as they suit a dobsonian type telescope, as they require less nudging. Plus your Skyliner 150P has a slow f8 focal ratio, so will work quite well with the cheaper offerings if the budget is not high.

Yes I also know that galaxies and other deep sky objects need longer eyepieces, but it was strange to me because i have been watching Orion nebula (M42) and it was much better view in my 10 mm eyepiece than in my 25mm it was much more detailed. M45 was the same better in 10mm. That's why I asked, thanks :)

There is one Super Wide Angle Eyepiece 16mm 1.25", 68°, Meade

and the other one is Sky-Watcher 7-21mm Zoom Eyepiece (1.25'/31.7mm Format)

Wihich of them will be better choice and will I see objects much better than my standard ones eyepieces?

For DSOs on a 1200 fl scope my prefered focal lenghts are:

Something around 32-30mm to locate and observe the wide ones and some of the small dim ones as well.

Then an EP around 15-12mm for a closer look. I find more then that to be too much on most DSOs.

The Orion neb is not a very good object to take conclusions from. It's a very bright and detailed object where you can go from widefield, where the size of it and a hint of color is usually visible, up to 300x where you can scan the structure and try to find the double stars in the trapezium.

Archived