SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What an amazing sight...

jmurray01

The Lunar Eclipse what else!

Here in Moray, Scotland I am getting a superb view. I took a few pictures with my digital camera, not great quality, but good enough to show a once in 400 year event :)

The fact I will never see this particular type of Lunar Eclipse again makes me sad, however happy that I am lucky enough to see it, as 30 minutes ago I thought I'd miss it as there were loads of clouds, now it is as clear as a whistle :p

I'll maybe post the pictures later!

We got an superb view of the eclipse this morning in Shetland! The sky was clear when I first went out at 0720, about half the Moon was in shadow. Venus was so bright, low in the sky to the SE, I could see it's reflection in the sea! I drove to a dark site out of town to watch as the shadow covered the Moon. The eclipse was still visible when I got to work, but now the clouds have rolled in and it's snowing!

The Lunar Eclipse what else!

I took a few pictures with my digital camera, not great quality, but good enough to show a once in 400 year event :)

The fact I will never see this particular type of Lunar Eclipse again makes me sad,

Why d'you say once in 400 years event? Am I missing something here?

Isn't the next one in June next year?

It's been cloudy all morning here in South Wales - no viewing of anything except clouds :). I've been watching the webcams across the globe, but the traffic was heavy and it was pretty poor :p. It would be great to see any pics...

Very sorry but these only last a couple of hours...

There is a partial Solar eclipse on the 4th of January at dawn also, oddly. That will only last an hour or so...

You need a scope with some Baader film on to have a look at that. But BEWARE of the sun and NEVER point bins or a scope at it. Well unless you have that Baader film.

About 14 UKP for an A4 sheet of the material.

Or stand with your back to the sun and make a pin hole camera. Pin hole in a bit of card would work. Project it onto another bit of card. I was in a lab here the last time and that sort of worked for me. I could see the phases of the eclipse.

I'm sure others far more knowledgeable than this idiot will advise.

Don't look at the Sun with naked eyes...or bins or a scope...

We get a partial lunar eclipse or two a year and the odd partial solar eclipse - there's time...

Have you seen any Aurora? Your skies must be perfect!

Archived