Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tutorial: Custom Stellarium landscapes

george7378

Yeah good point mike...still, something to do during the day then! :D

You might be onto something there... :rolleyes:

As the whole job took me half an hour I wonder why more sites like Kelling Heath, Keilder, Intech, etc don't make a Stellarium landscape just for fun and good advertising.

I'd really quite like to see more Stellarium landscapes since they give a better context for observing from a specific location than a simple photograph would.

The red field at Kelling Heath for instance has some quite obstructed (but sheltered) views and it would be quite nice to be able to see this before going.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started relying upon Stellarium to help me figure out what I am going to photograph from my neighbors back garden.

I own a fisheye lens, so making a custom landscape is pretty darn easy in terms of "photo time". The process is vaguely similar to making things like this: Zanzibar Beach Planet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

However, given we're only interested in the horizon line, I'm not overly fussed by the images artistic merits. So very quickly hashed this image up:

attachment.php?attachmentid=55951&stc=1&d=1302455703

[image was originally 12144 x 6005]

Photoshops "extract" tool makes cutting the skyline out an absolute breeze if you ask me, you can find it under "Filters>Extract".

You trace the skyline with a green edge and "fill" the area you want to keep with a blue marker, it defines the edge by finding strong contrast, which means even branches on a tree are a snap, mostly because you don't have to think to hard, you just colour over the area!

attachment.php?attachmentid=55953&stc=1&d=1302456666

attachment.php?attachmentid=55954&stc=1&d=1302456770

Well next stage is getting it into Stellarium, which I am now going to attempt!

Edit:

Wahoo it worked!

attachment.php?attachmentid=55955&stc=1&d=1302458740

post-22545-133877561186_thumb.jpg

post-22545-133877561199_thumb.jpg

post-22545-133877561205_thumb.jpg

post-22545-133877561209_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks George7378

I'm having trouble geting N, E, S, W lined up to my panorama image :-(

In my .ini file i don't seem to have "angle_rotatez = Enter angle"

What am i doing wrong?

I think you might be able to enter it yourself, if it's not already there. Just give it a go and see what happens.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Amazing. Finally got round to doing this on my Mac. After a bit of scaling of the image and playing with the 'angle_rotatez' figure, it's pretty much spot on!!! Thanks to the OP for this.

To do it on a Mac, very similar. All you need to do is right click the Stellarium.app (in Applications) and choose 'show package contents'. This will open up the application in finder. Go to 'Contents-Resources-Landscapes' create a new folder (call it 'Your-Landscape-Name' and put in it your Landscape.png file and the landscape.ini file that you create. (I copied one from another folder and amended it).

That's it!

Thanks again for sharing this!!

Tel

• 1 year later...

Brilliant! I was just googling 'Stellarium Landscapes' to find out if it was possible to put your own landscape in to Stellarium. Should have known you good people here at SGL would have already sorted the 'How To' for this.

Done it. Although it took a while to figure out the angle_rotatez figure.  Also need to do a better panorama, at the moment there's a big hole under my feet showing the southern hemisphere! a bit of ground work needs to be done, me thinks. :laugh:

• 3 years later...

Thats Brilliant. Thanks. I have done it on my pc taking a photosphere of my back yard using google camera and it works a treat. I am now thinking is. It possible to do it on the mobile version of stellarium running on android. I have had a look using ES File explorer but cant see any familiar directory structures or landscape folder. Has anyone ever done it?

Archived