SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wide field telescope

For me a widefield scope needs a focal length of not much more than 500mm in order for something like a 35mm Panoptic to show the entire Veil complex (as a classic example). Other WF favourites of mine would be the Double Cluster framed with Stock 2, etc etc. So I would not be mad on either of the scopes you mention, really.

However the WF prorities are always to compromise between short focal length (for the field), aperture (for light grasp) and freedom from coma to get the most out of your field.

For me the refractor is too slow at f9. This crops its field badly without it having great light grasp to make up for it. I had an f5 Genesis 4 inch and that was my ultimate WF instrument.

So I would vote for the Newt despite the risk of coma in WF EPs.

Olly

I have a Vixen ED102SS - it's an ED doublet refractor @ F/6.5. Nearly 4 degrees of sky visible with the 31mm Nagler in the drawtube - I can see the whole of the Veil complex with an O-III filter - a very fine sight :)

I couldn't afford a Genesis so this was my "next best" option :)

I'm not sure you are comparing like with like?

I'd say the answer depends on what you want to see. If you want lovely wide, pin sharp star field views then maybe an f6 100mm ED refractor would fit the bill. If you want ever so slightly less sharp views of star fields and also more objects such as nebulae etc then more aperture will be needed for this.

I agree that a 900mm scope is not wide field really.

Personally as I have two long dobs I went with the binoculars option and I bet for the price of a 100mm ED f6, you could get some superb binoculars.

My F5 Startravel 150 is my widefield deep sky instrument and you can pick them up for peanuts. Nice and short and despite being 6" in aperture very portable too. My Nag 31 gives me a nice 3.4 degree FoV :)

Not quite as big as johns but still great!

One other thing is that this scope replicates the newtonian in your original question and I also have an F9 ED frac. To answer your original post the 6" Newt will show you more sky and fainter stars.

Archived