Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way.thumb.jpg.dbd8b15e81d11e9303c8d6ef1898ac08.jpg

colincb

First Lunar image - 17/12/10

Shot with a Canon 300D @ prime focus on a C8 SCT, mount CG-5. Subs 1/320 sec, approx 10 frames stacked in registax to make 2 images, stitched in ICE, final processing in PE 9.

I needed to apply quite a lot of sharpening using wavelets in Registax. I thought the original RAW images weren't very sharp so any advice and CC would be most welcome.

post-18159-133877511705_thumb.jpg

Nice one. I just started imaging the moon too. I stacked around 800frames in avistack and the result was not as sharp as I had imagined it would be. I applied the 'default' amount of postprocessing wavelets and BANG ended up with an amazing image like yours. I have been visually observing the moon for a while, so I was careful to make sure that I did not overdo it with the wavelets.

You can stare at images like yours for a long time, so much to see (and you don't have to get cold or stay up late to do so!)

Cheers

PEterW

I know Peter, I can assure you I wasn't out for very long, it was definitely brass monkeys.

Thanks Bizibilder, I would still like to get the original Raw image much sharper; maybe I need a pier.

Have you tried a Bahnitov mask for focussing? You can make your own easily and focus on a bright star then slew to the Moon. I have noticed quite an improvement in my own images of the Moon using one. Don't forget, however, that the atmosphere is working against you with the "single shot" DSLR technique - thats why folk use webcams for Lunar and planetry work - collect loads of images and discard all the rubbish!!

Cheers Bizibilder,

I went to the beginners imaging day and have since acquired a SPC 900 webcam so I will try that next. Ta for the advice. (I have a homemade Bahtinov mask.)