Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

5x barlow review

lukebl

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seemed to work ok for this guy. Check out the 3rd pic from the top...

Stockport Binocular & Telescope Centre. Chris Hill's Astrophotography

I'm planning on a speedy purchase of this Barlow to mate with my Nikon D40, which is the same res as his Pentax, and my Skywatcher 200P.

Then I'm gonna pray for some clear nights...

If I can get even close to his I'll be happy! And if it doesn't come up to scratch it can always be returned :D If it does I might get a 3x to compliment my set :)

Sorry to revive such an old post, but I was just wondering if you did end up buying one of the Rev Astro 5x barlows? I just ordered one myself last night and am worried now I should have researched it more beforehand! :D

• 1 year later...

Could you elaborate about TV 3x barlow and ring combo?

-what spacer ring did you use? (threads, lenght, what cheap/old barlow did you canibalise)

-what end of the barlow will the ring screw in?

I'm trying to replicate your success:)

thx

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that , I had a GSO 3x  'APO?" barlow up till a few weeks ago and while it was ok I ended up selling it and keeping my 2 inch TV 2x Porwemate , these are very , very GOOD ! .

I even sold my Takahashi 1.6x ExtenderQ , not that it was not any good  ( far from it ! ) its just I use the TV Powremate all the time .

It just gets out of the way and does its job , nice bit of kit .

Here is mine with the rest of my TelVues .

Brian.

post-18525-0-63444400-1380160124_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread I know, but the value of information I have read is, I think, high.

To sum up what I've read;

Visual.  Either 2x or 3x is good, recommended seems to be the 3x Televue Barlow.

Imaging.  There are many options which have been tested, but the 5x Televue Powermate shows the best results.

A lot of power can only be of use for visual for brief moments of clarity, when turbulence is low.

UK has it worse than Hawii/ Australia.

Please amend if I've read it all wrong, but I came across this thread in a search for a magnification tool.

I was using this link to establish how far to puch my QHY5L-II Colour CMOS Camera, with Jupiter and Venus as an example.

I chose those 2 planets as I've made many observations and images using other cameras in the past.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I agree that the televue Barlows and powermates are the best... That said the Celestron ultima 2x Barlow is also very good.. I found it sharper then mates omni... Not just slightly but noticeably better.

Archived