Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2x Barlow? Ultrascopic or Televue?

Hey guys! I'm going to buy a Barlow and have it narrowed down to the Orion Ultrascopic 2x or the Televue 2x. Both are about the same price, and both get outstanding reviews. Is it a coin toss or a clear winner? I don't have any TV Ep's though, and will be using it thru my 8" Dob f/6 with SW EP's and a Meade 5000 40mm SWA.

Thanks!

Jason

Pure coin toss in terms of performance. No clear winner with those two, although you're the winner because you are assured a great barlow.

That said, the Televue has one ace card over the Orion.......resale value!

I'd still say the TeleVue is the winner, unless you have some issues with it, usually linked to its large insertion depth (contact with a Paracorr, inability to insert it fully in a star diagonal and too little focuser in-travel left, barlow sticking in the light path on small scopes,...).

If you check out Telescope House (I have no connection) at the moment the TV x2 Barlow is cheaper than the Orion Ultrascopic.

I have used the TV barlow and can vouch for its quality, and at this price its a real bargain and as has been pointed out, will retain much of its value if you decide to sell.

Best

Nick

Well guys, I had to go with the Orion because both were avail USED. and the guy that is selling the Orion is the one who grabbed the TV come to find out! For the record, the TV was $70 and the Orion was $57 shipped. I'm not gonna complain! I'm a newbie, and have plenty of time to upgrade later!

Thanks!

Jason

There is also Orion Shorty Plus, Celestron Ultima, Antares APO Barlow and Parks Optical Gold Barlow - which use the same 3-element APO lens :) Ultrascopic looks just like a long housing Barlow. Those above have shorter design which sometimes is better.

There are also Orion Highlight Barlows which use 5 elements (lol), and they aren't like 4-element PowerMate / Meade TeleXtender. Anyone has any experience with those Highlight monsters?

Archived