Celestron Omni XLT 102ED Review - Part 1

Deneb

Hi

Well folks received my new scope today, primarily going to be used as more of a portable scope to carry out on field trips instead of lugging around the MN190, with a similiar focal length of my Mak-Newt, imaging with a DSLR, the fov is not really noticable, apart from the scope being an f/9. Well the scope looks beautiful, especially with it's white rings. The OTA is well manufactured & the focuser - well your in for a surprise :), Well lets see what comes with it:

P1010131.jpg

A collimation Eyepiece (has this bad boy got a collimatible cell ?), 1.25" Starbright XLT Diagonal, 25mm eyepiece (pentax style), 2" - 1.25" adaptor, 6x30 finder & bracket.

The focuser looks easy to change if you decide to, no Agena Astro adaptor needed here, just a focuser with a flange size of 96mm, How about something like a MonoRail Focuser if you can't afford a Moonlight. The focuser is held on by x3 philips screws, top screw shown in pic. Unscrew the 3 screws & pop the new focusers on, & collimate it if you need to.

P1010134.jpg

What would you prefer a Rack & Pinion Focuser (as advertised) or a Crayford, well this looks like a Crayford...

P1010133.jpg

Finally this Beauty on my mount...

P1010132.jpg

Well folks, you'll have to wait now until I get images from it, before Part 2 gets posted...

Cheers

Nadeem.

If looks could kill then I'll dial 999.Like you,it's not using the scope,but also looking at it and going goo goo ,gaa gaa.

Martin of Cheshunt. (Now to be known as Grumpy Martian).No not because thew tax man is after me.

Archived