SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

OTA Dropped!

jasonp

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a horrific thread! I felt terrible when I put a small cosmetic dent in my 6" f11 as it flipped after I removed the mirror - I learned rapidly then about securing the OTA BEFORE removing all the weight from the bottom end!

My accident seems extremely minor by comparison :)

Had a **** in the woods once, slipped a fell back into it. :):D

My ribs are killing :D:D:D

I recently done a focuser up grade to my Helios 8" reflector. While in doors I cleaned the mirrors and put back together. Mirrors looking like new and crayford fitted I couldn't be happier until going back in to the obsy I went straight in to the counter weight bar bashing the focuser and no doubt dislodging a fair amount of flock on to my freshly cleaned mirror :) As it had been stripped I only put the secondary in loose until I could find time to re-collinate... Thankfully this remained in place as I am known for a short temper and I would have been Bruce lee ing my mount. Frustration set in and blood started to boil so I decided to walk away and I will check the scope better when I calm down. "still waiting for that"

Once attached my C10 to the NGT mount and went to get power unit and heard a great thud, I looked round to find the OTA laying on the ground...nothing damaged, I put it back on the mount and went to collimate and my word it was not even out of alignment...I loved that scope.

I've just been reading this thread so far, with no scope horror stories to contribute, until last night :)

I decided to image jupiter using the nexstar instead of the dob because the tracking is more accurate, and because the dob base would have disappeared in the snow!

...carried the scope out already attached to the mount, set it down on the snow, turned away to get the powertank....crash...I'd forgotten to tighten one of the tripod legs. One scope buried in the snow!

My ribs are killing :hello2::D:D

I recently done a focuser up grade to my Helios 8" reflector. While in doors I cleaned the mirrors and put back together. Mirrors looking like new and crayford fitted I couldn't be happier until going back in to the obsy I went straight in to the counter weight bar bashing the focuser and no doubt dislodging a fair amount of flock on to my freshly cleaned mirror :p As it had been stripped I only put the secondary in loose until I could find time to re-collinate... Thankfully this remained in place as I am known for a short temper and I would have been Bruce lee ing my mount. Frustration set in and blood started to boil so I decided to walk away and I will check the scope better when I calm down. "still waiting for that"

Well finally checked the OTA today and the secondary sits low when checking with a collimation cap even though the secondary is centered no doubt due to bashing the focuser in to the mount. Also I couldn't have dried the secondary properly as the knock must have splashed water on to the primary mirror along with a dusting of flock fibers so I would say all together I am worse of than when I started. BTW the splashing of water over the primary has froze solid and when I look down the OTA with a torch they look like little diamonds. I take it this will be ok when the warm up run down the mirror and dry with flock stuck to it ??:) Is it worth giving the focuser another swipe with a rubber hammer??

Archived