Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mooting idea: hydraulic tracking mount.

NickK

Photo of the 9500.. and a couple of sketches to bound ideas around.

The mount is really for imaging rather than observation and for short scopes, so I think an Equatorial Fork idea will be best as this gives space for the sensor discs and load capacity. The tripod is a 'sit squat' rather than being at eye height (I'm 6'4 so that would make it top heavy). This squatness has the advantage of reducing the weight overall and increasing stability.

I have an idea that you can just add an extension to the axis with slot in bar that could support a light refractor for observation (or another shorty).

I also thought that it would be better to give the fork some room to take two 200mm side by side (the target is at infinity so tracking should cause any issue). So that's probably about 30Kg in total payload.

There's a few adjustments needed - mainly to get the centre of gravity over the centre. Additional adjustments are to give the pivot some space.

post-22611-133877519541_thumb.jpg

post-22611-133877519544_thumb.jpg

post-22611-133877519549_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been playing with the idea of using the G500 over USB. There's a few limitations of using USB - the main one is the max rate of 1000 position updates/sec (usb 'reports). So although the ADNS-9500 will sense at 5670cpi it's only going to report jumps of 0.0056 which would prove a problem.

Better would be to run a micro controller directly attached for a loop.

Archived