Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

still searching for an OTA...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both those scopes will only be of use for Lunar/Planetary imaging

and not for all the planets either. e.g : Moon /Jupiter/ Saturn.

No disrespect to the people selling those scopes but just remember Andrew you only get what you

pay for with astronomy equipment.

warehouse express have a 6 " Bushnell F8 dob ( reflector) going for £70 in their bargain basement section.http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

Pulsar optical still have the 5" meade frac at £149 so you might be able to haggle with them and get it down.http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/telescopes/usedexdisplay/meade/lxd55refractorota.html

The phenix you show there usualy end up going for around £275 on e bay.

Yes you could use the bushnell with a a set of rings.. its only undoing a couple of screws holding the side bearings in place.. I dont know what the mirror is like but I do know the bushnell has been heavily reduced in price, plus you get a dob base to play with as well.

I think we all know that just the same as us you aspire to something better, like an 8"-10" but realisticly its unlikely around or under £100, in fact under £200 seems hard as well.

Yes John, I saw that, and I'm surprised it hasn't gone already at that price! It's definitely good. Maybe a bit big from the portability side, but probably just about right for my budget. Considering that I'll be using it on an EQ5 for astrophotography, it migth be a bit of a load.

My max budget, I'm afraid, is £200. I'm basically after a 6" reflector (parabolic, obviously), but would consider a half-decent refractor too. I'm just gathering information now, as I'll probably buy it with christmas money, rather than wages.

When that time comes though, my budget might well be a little bigger.

I'm quite sure something perfect will come up in good time. Any advice is always appreciated.

Andrew

my! I can't imagine that the Bushnell is still there! It's indeed parabolic, according to its instruction book, and only £70 + p&p. I would have to buy rings additionally. Would any 6" rings do? I might well phone up tomorrow to check. Has anyone used a Bushnell? Do you know if they are a recommended manufacturer? Any advice appreciated.

It probably isn't a new item though, but that doesn't matter.

Andrew

Bushnell have an 'OK', reputation for budget scopes. Nothing great just 'OK'. Your best bet for rings is to measure the outside diameter of the scope and put a 'wanted' ad up. You'd be suprised how many people have spares knocking about, but don't assume that a set of 6" rings will fit your 6" scope they can vary quite at lot on size even though they are listed as the same size.

For what it's worth I reckon you might find that that £70 quid Bushnell 6 inch is not a great deal better than your Tasco 114mm. If I were you I would be looking for an 8 inch newtonian OTA - you should get one if your patient for well under £200 - I picked one up for £120 last year in great nick (sold a while ago I'm afraid). In terms of outright performance the newtonian will give you the most "bang for your buck" but you should look for an 8 inch if you want to see a really noticable performance jump from where you are now IMHO.

John

I have an 8" Newt on an EQ5 mount. I have not done any long exposure photography but it seems to be OK for everything else. I do think it is cutting it a little fine and I would like to get an HEQ5 but for the moment it copes fine. Dont be put of getting an 8" Scope by this.

Archived