SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter + Transits 12.12.10 127mm Mak

AztecastroMcJ

Managed to capture part of Europa Transit and later its shadow transiting Jupiter last night between 7pm - 8pm.

Europa is very difficult to see, easier on 2nd pic but its definetly there

also got nearby moons Ganymede and Io, plus got Oval Ba or Red Spot Jnr showing up and possibly some dark material from seb revival aswell.

The Neb was showing some nice detail too with the very bright red and white spots being the main stand outs.

Took 11 150sec avi's @10fps using craterlet

Stacked 1000/1500 reg5.1

then given tweak in gimp

Used ext and 3xTal barlow so scope working prob around f/35 or so

Conditions 7/10

Alt = 28-29 degrees

Jup App Size = 41.2 arcsec

heres the four avi's processed so far

click on pics for 100% capture size and time details

was great to get something after weeks of nothing :)

James

post-16858-133877510088_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877510092_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877510096_thumb.jpg

post-16858-1338775101_thumb.jpg

Many thx for all comments and feedback,

these were fairly quick processes so maybe i can get them bit better with some more detailed processing using castrator and vdub etc

still really pleased with 2nd pic in particular,

regarding moons hues lol this is due to fairly heavy wavelets which tends to give false colours to moons, Ganymede isn't Pink don't worry.

many thx again James

Fantastic images, James. Same equipment as me - but the last time I tried with the Tal x3 I found that the image was so dim I had to up the gain, which affected the image somewhat. Do you have a record of the gain/exposure settings you used? I assume you used the spc900? I'm wondering whether I should try another capture software. I have used wxastrocapture up till now - never tried craterlet, but I have another called sharpcap which is highly recommended. Just waiting to get a snow-free clear night!

Fantastic images, James. Same equipment as me - but the last time I tried with the Tal x3 I found that the image was so dim I had to up the gain, which affected the image somewhat. Do you have a record of the gain/exposure settings you used? I assume you used the spc900? I'm wondering whether I should try another capture software. I have used wxastrocapture up till now - never tried craterlet, but I have another called sharpcap which is highly recommended. Just waiting to get a snow-free clear night!

thx again for all comments and feedback

gain settings aren't saved but done on night

10fps, exposure 1/25 brightest setting, auto wb OFF

brightness and contrast 50% saturation 90%

gain is then set by moving till burnout appears then dropping back slightly(so no burn out),

i would say around 60-80% gain with above settings shud b ok and yes i'm using SPC900 with UV/IR Filter.

I have used various capture programs

including K3CCD, wxastrocapture and at min craterlet, they are all very similar,

but i find craterlet works best on my Vista laptop but K3CCD works best on my pc using windows XP,

HTH and gud luck with getting some good conditions

which is most important

James

Thanks James, very useful. Saturation setting is interesting at 90%.

Otherwise pretty much as I use. The only difference is a baader contrast filter along with the IR blocker. I may try it without this next time as I have a feeling it is cutting down the light. Like you say, conditions are all important though!

Archived