Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Geminids - Peak Begins Tonight

Shibby

Tonight should be a good night too after midnight - Metcheck gives clear skies most of the night, and Sat24 shows huge cloud banks drifting in!

Which one to believe?

Oh well as I'm on holiday may as well stay up to see which ones right :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mixture of clouds and clear patches on Anglesey. Two cameras running since 20:15 one with 24mm lens the other an 8mm fisheye. I've seen maybe 20 geminids so far including some very low near the horizon. Hopefully the cameras have snapped one or two

Cloud is starting to roll in from the north so I might only another 20-30 minutes at it

Just got back from Tenerife this evening, had to be up early so had a look for Geminids between 5.30 and 6.30. Saw around a dozenm mostly short duration and very white. Treated to one "stonker" about -4 mag, passed down through Orion and nearly reached the sea horizon. As an aside, saw Omega Centauri in 10x50's.

I have just been out for a quick session as the sky had unexpectedly cleared. I had about twenty minutes of observing time before the inevitable happened, a large blanket of cloud that had been creeping in from the north rushed over and quickly covered the sky.

I did manage to see seven or eight bright-ish or so meteors in the time that I was out there even though the moon was hampering viewing somewhat and the less than perfect transparency. I found that lying on the reclining lounger made viewing more comfortable and allowed me to see a larger area of the sky at one time which is a big plus as it minimizes the times that you are looking in the completely wrong direction, you can usually catch them in the corner of your vision and quickly turn your head to see them in time.

Well, I had some clear sky when I got home last night so hurriedly set up the camera and mount. Soon as I did, clouds rolled in and have been there ever since :)

Sounds like some people have had some good shows though. Great pic Kev, thanks for posting!

Archived