SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Geminids - Peak Begins Tonight

Shibby

Just finished playing footy at 11pm n the sky was awesome. Rushed in to tell the missus that I am goin outside. Hot vimto n blankets ready, every item of clothes I have I am now wearing. Guess what........ Clouds !!!!

Where did they come from. Went from 0% to 100% in ten mins. Not happy. Anyway gonna stick it out for an hour n see how u guys are gettin on

Wish me luck...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we're clouded out here at the moment, the weather seems to have defeated me once again. I am planning to stick at it though for at least another hour or so, I might have a kip for a few hours as the mess office gives the possibility of clear skies from around 4-30 onwards.

I was locking up at 01.55, there was thin cloud with a clear area in the south. Within a minute I saw a large orange meteor going north-south. I was amazed at the size and brightness of the thing, and seeing it so soon I decided to watch for a while.

I managed to see one more of much less intensity before the sky covered at about 02.30. (Newport Gwent)

Tony

I've ordered a new cable release for the camera (having lost my IR one) - I was hoping that it was going to be here for tonight...

It's forecast to be clear, so I'll be setting up the C925 and seeing if I can image at F10 - once that's done and working I'll be doing a little meteor watching!

I saw one site state the ZHR was about 120 - is that right?

Ant

I got a bit of viewing in last night because I set my alarm and managed to wake myself up eventually at 4-50, I looked outside my window and saw it was mostly clear so I quickly got myself dressed and got outside.

I must have seen around 10 or so bright ones in the space of 20 minutes which wasn't too bad going, I did see one or two come in pairs every now and again. Viewing was cut short by encroaching cloud cover which was upon me by 5-10. Also the idiot neighbour's floodlight came on for no apparent reason and it is still on now!!!

I got a bit of viewing in last night because I set my alarm and managed to wake myself up eventually at 4-50, I looked outside my window and saw it was mostly clear so I quickly got myself dressed and got outside.

I must have seen around 10 or so bright ones in the space of 20 minutes which wasn't too bad going, I did see one or two come in pairs every now and again. Viewing was cut short by encroaching cloud cover which was upon me by 5-10. Also the idiot neighbour's floodlight came on for no apparent reason and it is still on now!!!

wow that sounds good, i'll be happy to just see a couple tonight.

Good luck with the imaging Ant.

Archived