Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filters

Chubster

The only one I've used so far is the Baader UHC-S narrowband filter. Basically it makes spotting nebulae (especially planetarys) easier but I have also found that it impoves the contrast when viewing M31. I'm a visual observer so I can't comment on how it is for imaging. From my moderately light polluted back yard I managed to spot the eastern Veil Nebula through an 80mm short tube refractor with this filter which quite impressed me. The Baader version is said to dim the stars less than other makes of narrowband filters which makes it useful in smaller scopes.

The 1.25 inch version costs around £45.

John

I've a Baader UHC-S filter for visuals and imaging, although I've not had a chance to give it a good workout yet.

I believe there was a filter poll on one of the astro web sites. The UHC filters came out as the most useful all round fillters.( sometimes called 'nebula filters')

MD

IR/UV block filter is good for the planetary imaging.

Baader neodymium gets my vote as most useful filter. Works wonders on the planets and moon. Gives a contrast boost for deepsky visual. And works wonders for deepsky imaging when shooting shorter exposures. And it's cheap!

Russ

For imaging: -

planets an I/R block filter.

To deal with light pollution an Astronomic CLS filter which also cuts I/R

For imaging Ha targets eg Horsehead an Astronomik narrow band Ha filter - but you do need longer exposures with this - quite pricey but well worth it

It's odd that the IR pass is becoming more used when you consider that they mess up ccd images a bit but if you stop to think about it you will see why... IR is away at the end of the visible spectrum and up there seeing effects have less effect on images. If you could image *just* in IR you would increase your numer of good imaging nights quite significantly. Might get some odd piccies though :D

Arthur

Arthur, that's very interesting. The UHC is supposed to let through IR so maybe that's something to play with on wobbly nights if imaging through light pollution. From what I gather the CLS blocks IR as do the Astronomik LRGB type 2 filters

I think it's the other way around - imaging in colour (planets) will always require an IR block as the ccd is too sensitive at this wavelength and your colours will be all over the place as the software tries to make sense of the bayer matrix that's been messed up by the IR hitting the chip.

Arthur

Quite right Andrew!

I have just contacted the importers and been told that the price has dropped on the Neodymium (my price-list still shows the original price). I have changed FLO's price, ordered a new price-list and will check the remaining filters tomorrow.

If you see any other prices that need my attention, please let me know.

If anyone has bought this filter from FLO after Nov 18th, please contact me so that I can refund the difference :D

If you plan on using 2" eyepieces at any time in the near future it might be worthwhile buying the 2" filter and then screwing it into a 1.25" to 2" adapater. This way you can use the filter with all your 1.25" eyepieces without unscrewing it each time plus you can use it with 2" eyepieces should you buy some in the future. Of course the downside is it costs more.

Archived