SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was cloudy last night but at about midnight there was a tiny gap around Caster and Pollux. saw a single small one then. a little later (still cloudy) it a was VERY frustrating as I saw one near the base of Orion through really quite thick cloud so it must have been a really good one. after that it got worse so I went to bed at about 1am.

The cloud was coming in waves over the South Downs last evening so I had plenty of opportunities to warm up. Saw a few good ones in the clear patches though.

Unfortunately I had set up the scope so spent most of the time looking through that. As soon as I put that away in order to concentrate on the 'nids, the cloud fully rolled over :)

Clear forecast tonight - hopefully I'll see some stragglers

Edit: Just to take the thingy, clear sky has just rolled over with the sunrise...

It was completely clouded out here in Southern Hampshire, well the evening actually started off clear and i wish i did at least an hour of observing then, i did see 1 Geminid shoot across the top of orion as i was sat at my window eating my quiche, now thats the kind of observing i like!

Anyway i decided to wait until midnight then i would cycle off to my allotment site, i like it there, i can lock the gates behind me so i feel more secure. although the skies are badly light polluted around the horizon, the skies are not bad overhead, and i did some good gemindi observing from there last year so decided thats where i would go.

Come midnight and the clouds had arrived, but foolishly i thought maybe they will clear away, as they were moving along quite fast, you never know, after all the perseids looked set to be ruined by cloud and rain for me and my freind yet we still went out, as we were driving to our choosen location the rain and clouds started to clear and about 15 minutes afre arriving the sky was completly clear fpr the rest of the night and we had a amazing perseid session.

But i was silly to think i could have the same luck twice in a year! there were a few patches where the cloud was thin enough for me to see some stars and i hoped i would at least see a fireball through one of those thin patches, i imagine a bright fireball through thin cloud would actualy light up the cloud and look quite spectacular. but that didnt happen, at just before 2am it showed no sign of improving so i decided to call it a night.

Still, at least i tried! i know some people who might go outisde on a perfect night and give up after 15 minutes becuase there expecting to see meteors pouring out every few seconds, i went out on a cloudy night and gave it almost 2 hours before quitting, that either shows dedication to my cause, or that im just nuts!

The forcast is looking better for me tonight, and if its true that the peak is at 16:45 i shall observe as soon as its dark, that will only be a hour or so after the peak so it could still be a good show, i havnt given up on seeing my festive fireball yet, thats actually all i want, it would be nice to see lots of meteors but if i see just 1 fireball I'll be happy!

With Orion almost overhead, and Gemini rising high, I was treated to quite a few fizzlers, a couple of bright ones and a real growler tonight, whilst up on the helideck. Sadly, the clouds far outnumbered the gaps, so I suspect that a good many were missed. However, the growler was so spectacular, crossing about 60-70 degrees of sky, heading west towards the moon, with a green tint and distinct trail, that it certainly made it worthwhile.

Just been out for a half hour session facing orion-wards (ESE) - 5 pretty good ones and a couple of fainter ones.

The thin cumulostratus taking up the western side of the sky has moved over (can still see the moon through it), so I'm taking a chance to warm up :)

Just come back in after finally managing an hour or so. Saw 12 really bright ones and a few suspected fainter ones. The highlight of the night was one about 10pm which was a serious fireball. It shot up from Gemini, through Auriga and then ended in Perseus growing in brightness all the way and trailing 'smoke' the whole length - fantastic! It's now total cloud cover so am going to bed. Hope others managed to see a few.

I saw 2 last night in 30 minutes, it was late and I needed to go to bed. The annoying thing was I was taking some pics of Orion and as soon as I took some darks one went straight through Orion.

Oh well, glad I saw a couple anyway.

Forecast last night was for clear skies from 9pm till dawn. All excited about getting a few hours of Geminid watching. But instead i had solid cloud cover until 7.05am when it finally decided to clear....grrrr

Three nights on the trot where the weather men have made a complete pigs ear of things.

• 3 weeks later...
I saw 2 last night in 30 minutes, it was late and I needed to go to bed. The annoying thing was I was taking some pics of Orion and as soon as I took some darks one went straight through Orion.

Oh well, glad I saw a couple anyway.

Lol, it turns out that I did manage to get one. I was going through all the frames yesterday and one has a very faint streak in it.

Certainly not a spectacular image though.

Archived