Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping to have a night out for this one but it falls on a Monday night, which is babysitting night. So the backgarden will have to do. Only snag, limiting mag from the garden is mag 2, so they will need to be bright to even register.

I'm going to try and spot some Geminids too - I was actually watching this morning, and I saw about 6 meteors within about an hour, two of which were very bright fireballs. I don't know much about this shower though - what will the rates be, and when should I watch? Thanks. Also, if I am taking photos, where would you recommend I point the camera?

Looks like i'll be pressing my nose to the window again this year. ;)

Tonight: Partly cloudy, -20C, wind chill -27C.

Monday night: Partly cloudy, -22C, wind chill -26C.

Tuesday night: Partly cloudy, -21C.

Say 'oooh and ahhh' for me, ok? :D

NO!!!!!!!! Cannot even imagine that Carol, :) Hard enough to imagine -1!!

Our minimun tonight is supp to be 25 dg (celsius), too hot for a night.

Will try again tonight also, supp to be clearing up later. Fingers crossed..

Same here, "Supposed" to be clear tonight much in the same way it was "supposed" to be clear today. Never did get to have a solar session today, some peoples idea of clear is obviously different to mine.

Anyway, I digress. If it does clear up I was planning on at least trying to take a few photos. I imagine it's down more to luck than anything. Not really sure on the best way to go at it though, I was just intending on pointing the camera towards where I see most coming from and then setting the Camera to maybe 5 or 10 second exposures possibly longer and hope for the best. Any ideas on what some good settings would be?

Just by even mentioning it has probably already doomed me to a cloudy night now.

Damn - the forecast, having been 'clear' all weekend, now says cloudy :) Still, if there is a clear spell it will be warmer than last year - I spent 5 mins lying on a park bench and my hat froze to it.

They were all over the sky, but I found looking South/Up was best before midnight. Once Gemini is overhead, they fall all around so look in the easiest/most comfortable direction.

Ahh poo, I never got that deckchair that I meant to....

I'm planning on having a 5D MkII and 24mm f1.4 lens (75 degrees of view) sat on top of a NEQ6 Pro mount and track Gemini/Castor/Pollux for the duration shooting probably 30 second exposures @ f2.8 iso 1600 continuously depending on the local LP. A second 7D camera will be just tripod mounted with an 8mm fisheye lens fitted to it which has approx 170 degree field of view, again that will be shooting continuously for 5-6 hours (could be interesting making the flats for this combination). I might even fire up a modded 40D and see what that can get me with a 10mm lens lol

all the above assumes a clear sky after midnight tonight lol

ps even with that coverage I've no doubt there will be a voice in my head whispering "THEY'RE BEHIND YOU!"

Just checked the sattelite, looks like it might snow on me shortly. But it may clear up later. Sooner would be better though, I don't have all night.

edit: Scrap the word "might" and replace with the word "is".

According to Sky at Night mag. it should be better after midnight when the moon has set and looking in the general direction of Orion is recommended - but they can appear anywhere. Plenty of cloud for me at present though and the forcast isn't good for the East coast.

According to Sky at Night mag. it should be better after midnight when the moon has set and looking in the general direction of Orion is recommended - but they can appear anywhere. Plenty of cloud for me at present though and the forcast isn't good for the East coast.

Tell me about it - cloud and drizzle!

post-16950-133877510174_thumb.jpg

I've seen a few through the haze and photographed one that was visible through the clouds lol. The camera is running outside the back door but it isn't the best place by a long shot as the telephone lines overhead tend to spoil the view :) I'm still undecided about later but I'll wait until the moon sets before making a proper decision.

Archived