Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope Classifieds

If I wanted to buy a largish second hand Dob in the UK, which web sites would I want to be browsing? I don't have anything specific in mind, I just want to browse. I found astrobuysell.com but looking through it I don't see a lot of Dobs.

Cheers!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Umadog I believe you need 10 posts before you can look in the For Sale section on the forum. When you enter it you will find a wanted page.

Alan

Hi guys

You need 50+ posts & be a member for over a month to view the buy & sell section of SGL.

hi mate

as you saw in my other thread, I am looking to do the same thing. I cannot recall a complete 18" dob for sale in the UK in all the time I have been looking at used stuff for sale. I think 16" are relatively more common. I have come to the conclusion that I can buy a new mirror and make the rest (or get it made) for the price a used one would be (approximately anyway).

I may be out but I think I can complete my planned 18" truss dob to a good standard for a shade over £2000. This reduces to £1500 if I can sell my current 12" for £500 but don't want to do that yet.

I did see some mirrors for sale in Ireland on AB&S (I think on was 18") but I don't have the funds yet and didn't really want to travel at this stage either.

Good luck with the project - we must compare notes!

A fantastic 20" came up recently on e.bay and was snapped up by one of our members - RobH. I think the price was around £1K but he had to travel a couple of hundred miles to pick it up I believe.

Don't know if this one is still available ?:

Odds and Sods @ Modern Astronomy

But I reckon you folks have your heart set on something even larger :)

• 2 years later...

Mainly to stop people abusing the members on here.

Not weird really , many forums have similar rules based on posts or time , some even make you pay to access.

Anyway thems the rules the Admins have decided on , it's their forum , their call

Thanks for the quick reply Kai although even with a fervent imagination, I can't for the life of me think why, how and by whom members could be abused on a site dedicated to astronomy? Maybe Im too honest and/or naive!

Anyway, it's a great site and so full of amazing information.

In the meantime, Ill just have to look elsewhere for a used scope and mount.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks for the quick reply Kai although even with a fervent imagination, I can't for the life of me think why, how and by whom members could be abused on a site dedicated to astronomy? Maybe Im too honest and/or naive!

It has happened in the past Mark which is why the access rules are there. The "abuse" included unscrupulous people snapping up bargains intended for fellow members and then selling them immediately elsewhere at a higher price. 

It has happened in the past Mark which is why the access rules are there. The "abuse" included unscrupulous people snapping up bargains intended for fellow members and then selling them immediately elsewhere at a higher price. 

I see John. Thought anything relative to astronomy sold for it's value. 

Have a good weekend.

Mark

Archived