Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at M42

Keiran

Hi all,

this is my first attempt of M42, this is a single shot of 60 seconds @ISO400 with my new Canon 500d...

I am really pleased with what i got, but i am having trouble stacking these and pulling out the detail, but ill keep at it and see what i can do...

bulldog_keiran-albums-dso-picture7999-my-first-m42-single-shot.jpg

Keiran

Here is the final stacked version..

bulldog_keiran-albums-dso-picture8006-m42-12-30sec-iso-800-09-12-10.jpg

I've given up on DSS. It may be me and probably is, but I can never get a decent result from it. I decided to invest in Nebulosity which is a bit more involved but for me, has given better results. I tried DSS to stack an image of M42 I took on Sunday night and ended up with a mushy grey mess. I then squirted the same images through nebulosity and got a much better result.

It probably is the case that I don't understand how to use DSS properly. It may be worth you trying some other software to stack images - it worked for me.

Are you shooting in RAW ?

I had a similar problem with DSS. There was a distinct lack of colour after stacking.

I get the impression that 90% of people use DSS, but I have come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work for me. I'm no expert, but when you find something that works for you stick with it until something better comes along.

All the best

Richard

That looks a good start to me. The stacking will make a big difference.

The image that dss throws on screen always look desaturated. I think it's to do with the way it handles raw files. If you click on the saturation tab and set it to 20% you'll get an idea of the colours. When I've stacked data I embed the adjustments on save, I don't use the dss adjustments.

I agree with John above. DSS images do come out looking somewhat desaturated.

I tend not to adjust the saturation in DSS but do that instead in Photoshop afterwards.

Regarding Nebulosity, is it just the saturation after stacking that makes it look better?

Thanks Mike/John, Do you adjust anything in DSS before stacking? Ive noticed that there is a slider in the top right corner, does that effect the way it stacks?

Thanks for the comment Mark, and Andrew, I think I will give DSS another play and see how i get on, but I am thinking of using something else...

When using DSS with a DSLR, I use RGB background calibration (not per channel). When the final image is produced I would align all 3 channels (so the image looks grey), then flip over to the saturation tab and take it up to 30%. All of the colour should pop out then :)

Looking really good. Couple of things you might try....

- Take some short duration frames that capture the details in the bright areas that are getting blown out. Use a masking or HDR process to apply them (I don't know you tools or process so that might be a bit vague).

- Extract individual R,G,B channel from your subs and stack them separately...this will give you direct control over how the colors are mixed into the final image.

Or enjoy it as is...I think it looks great :)

Rusty.

Hi Keiran,

Nope. I do no adjustments in DSS, but I'm not sure if I should be?

The image comes out looking desaturated but the colour comes back when I manipulate the levels in Photoshop.

I'd much rather have a 'natural' look so I adjust the levels to match the 'right' colours to my mind.

Best,

Mike

Thanks Rusty, Im new to PH and stacking/processing, and all what you mensioned meant very little, sorry ;)

Sorry for being cryptic...I get that a lot :D

If you can post a FITS, TIFF or RAW I'd be happy to explain.

Good stuff regardless :)

Rusty.

Archived