740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Stupid,Stupid,Stupid!

martin_h

After writing this I'm going to hide for a long time.....

I've been imaging the Cone Neb for a while now, last nights effort topped off about 20 hours of data in LRGB and Ha, but the data wasn't improving the final image, infact it was getting redder and redder no matter what I did to it.

Anyway last night I noticed a spot on a few subs that flats wasn't shifting, so today I did some more flats, but this spot was huge so I decided to strip it all down and clean the image train......when to my horror I discoverd I had mis-labled all the filters, so i have 20 hours of data and dont have a clue what it is. Now I could sit with PS and try every combination to try to sort it - or - take the easy way out and delete the lot and start again.

:)

I took the easy option and deleted it!

I've did this once or twice Martin, one reason for a motorised filter wheel!

Are your subs grouped in any way so you can identify those shot with the same filter.

If they are you just need to stack each channel and run through the 9 possible colour combines to see what looks best. Not a huge job.

The red should be easy to spot. Just stretch it and you will see much more than with the other colour channels. Were the subs all the same length exposure, if not this will help since exposure time is normally held in the FITS header so the info is there for you.

If you can pull out the reds the next thing to look at is the area of blue reflection nebulosity, this will show in the blue much better than the green.

Might be a bit tedious but for goodness sake don't throw away your data

To late - they have gone. I have been making lots of stupid mistakes of late, and think I might be loosing the plot a bit.

Its time to sit back and think about all this and sort things out.

Mind you - I have a set of Bias and Darks ready to go LOL

To late - they have gone. I have been making lots of stupid mistakes of late, and think I might be loosing the plot a bit.

Its time to sit back and think about all this and sort things out.

Mind you - I have a set of Bias and Darks ready to go LOL

There are programs that will rescue the data from your hard drive, I've had to do it a few times myself

I'm on my phone just now but will have a look when I get home