SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is this bad?

Thats the sign of a good night :)

Shouldn't do any harm, I would remove the battery for the camera and allow to completely warm/dry before turning on.

Apart from that everything should be fine.

ant

Its fine, my stuff has looked like that (and worse) and survived

It was after this particular evening that I moved from powering the kit from battery power to transformer power, as the dew straps sucked what little power was left from the freezing cold and poorly performing battery pack...

20080217_cold2.jpg

Thanks chaps, that puts my mind at rest! Am I right in thinking that it's a good idea to dry off the mirrors with the hair drier when bringing it back in though? I can imagine drips leaving water marks on them?

Are dew heaters expensive? I had a bit of a mare with the secondary frosting up! Although once I cleared it, it stayed good for the rest of the night. Would a dew shield be enough?

Thats the sign of a good night :)

Certainly was, my most productive night ever! :D

Personally, I bring my optics in and let them dry off naturally completely overnight

I'd suggest using even remotely warm air on the freezing optics could have disastrous consequences.

As others suggested put something over the camera (I bet even a plastic bag lined with a scarf or similar would be better than nothing?).

I think a dew shield would help your secondary problem

try that first and then heaters if not.

Keep an eye out on astroboot as I managed to pick up a dual channel controller and two bands for the grand total of £25.

I also second the Kendrick camera body sock from Altair Astro, £26 for peace of mind is much better than taking a chance with the camera thawing out indoors. I use 4" dew straps for my lenses and so far its done the job very well indeed.

When things have got really bad I leave all the kit locked up in the shed and let it all warm up naturally. Pop the cover on the Newt but crack it open. Any water marks on the mirror shouldnt effect the perfomance too much but if left to dry naturally more or less totally dissapear anyway.

Dont worry too much about the camera though, its only a Nikon :)

I use a hair dryer if necessary during observing sessions - usually EPs but occasionally the secondary, the kit is too valuable to have to stop using it. Using a hairdryer is a waste of time when you bring the scope in though, you will still get the same residues. Let it dry naturally but leave the scope tilted so you don't get the dew dripping onto the primary.

It seems a shame to use any sort of coat on the camera since this is likely to increase the temp of the chip. The cooler the chip the better.

Archived