Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First pic using bodged setup :)

johnnychaos

This was my first attempt, it was actually taken during the day which is were the blue hue comes from. Then processed in photoshop

Taken using a Meade DS2070 and 5mp Canon Powershot little compact camera. I mounted it to the scope's eyepeice using a toilet roll and some masking tape! hehe.

l_0e47a19447959c59b6dfeccc665332e8.jpg

A lot of folk spends £10's using t-rings, adaptors, extensions and camera mounts - then you do this with a bit of masking tape and a loo roll.

What can I say - come back Blue Peter all is forgiven lol. Great bit of impro and a good first shot :)

Excellent result. I'm a great fan of improv and simple approaches. So often, all the fancy gear just isn't necessary.

As an idea, if you ever need to use extension tubes - kitchen roll - a bit longer than loo roll (you heard it here first!).

Keep 'em coming, look forward to seeing more.

Kev

Thanks guys. I did manage to take a pic of the orion nebular and saturn using the looroll5000 adapter :) although they proved much harder to line up.

I'm still waiting for my Canon DSLR adapter so in the mean time I took this last night using my old 2G iphone. It only has a 2mp camera on it, an awful lens and doesn't handly glare very well. But still turned out ok ish.

Fingers crossed the postman turns up soon!

mooniphone.jpg

hi Johnny, great pics you've taken there. Hopefully I'll have my new 'scope soon and will probably try to take some pics through it. I don't own a DSLR but have a couple of decent Canon digital cameras to try. I like the idea of the loo roll tube and have also seen something similar done with plastic pipe with foam insulation inside to grip the camera lens (slightly) to hold it. I have a question though, how did you focus the camera on the first shot? Do you let the camera do it or switch to manual focus? cheers.....geordieskies

Next time I do it I'll take a photo (with a different camera obviously) :D

It didn't have a manual focus so just let it do it's thing. But it would let me leave the shutter open for about 30seconds. I found that with the moon it focused fine. It was just smaller stuff it had problems with... same as the iphone

As for the iphone one, that was just held over the eyepiece. :)

Archived