Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A quick 'hi'

GazOC

Hi all,

My names Gaz I own various and ever changing astro gear, but my 'keepers' are my LX90, EQ6, 10" f5 Newt and (and you knew this was coming!) a 80mm f5 refractor.

I'm hoping to ascend to the level of 'mediocre' as an astro photographer, but I fear the combination of a lack of both skill and patience means I've reached a plateau of being merely 'poor' :)

Welcome Gaz. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Your intro sounds like the sort of thing i would write.

I'm hoping to ascend to the level of 'mediocre' as an astro photographer, but I fear the combination of a lack of both skill and patience means I've reached a plateau of being merely 'poor' Wink

That's about where i am with my imaging, even after 3 years of trying. Time , skill and money seem to be the limiting factors for me. As Andy said, it'd be great to see some of your images as i suspect they are pretty good.

My names Gaz I own various and ever changing astro gear, but my 'keepers' are my LX90, EQ6, 10" f5 Newt and (and you knew this was coming!) a 80mm f5 refractor.

Hmm i've owned all those too. Still have the EQ6 but with an Intes M603, Skymax 127 and an 8" f5 newt. Did have an LX200 briefly, also 2 x 10" f5 newts. It's a good setup you've got there.

Have you seen the Skyscan upgrade for the EQ6? I'm current;y considering it, just that minor stumbling block called money.

Anyhow enough of that. Welcome aboard!! :)

Regards

Russ

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Russ, I've looked at the SkyScan for the EQ6, I'll probably upgrade if and when a motor or a gear 'fails' on my mount, but not before. I can't really afford to rip out prefectly good hardware.

I'm also not totally sold on ther idea of GOTO on a EQ mount, you know , having to re align each time you cross the meridian. I'd have to actaully PLAN my observations (heaven forbid!) :)

Gaz, i've never been sold on the idea of Goto either. More the PEC and autoguiding. £450 is a lot of money too. And would i have the skill to get best out of it too.

I plan nothing. Go out see what happens. Spend an hour imaging one object to find it's pants the next morning.

Regards

Russ

I'll try and find the link, but there is an upgrade for the EQ6 that gives PEC, (and autoguiding I think) but no GOTO. I think it's just better motors, gears and a RS232 interface for the mount, but its obviously much cheaper than the Skyscan.

Youre right about needing the skill to get the best out of the Skyscan and other mount upgrades, theres always the temptation to tell yourself "my pictures would be much better if I had a (insert gadget here)", when in reality "my pictures would be better if I had a better idea of what I was doing!"

Gaz

Archived