SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M33 Triangulum Galaxy

Shibby

I've been wanting to have a go at M33 ever since I started imaging, and last night I finally got a chance. The fog stayed away long enough for a very productive night! I managed 3 different targets!

Most time (2.9hrs of exposure) was spent on this one, which seems to have helped bring out quite a bit of detail! Though none of the HA prominences as the camera is unmodified.

Sywatcher 150PDS, unguided

87x2min, Nikon D70, ISO-800

M33.jpg

Other to images to come... :D

post-17708-133877508525_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comment Bizi. It seems to be the background calibration in DSS that wipes out all the red channel (due to light pollution). I find that I have to choose between detail and colour (ie to maintain colour I get more noise). Should be getting a 2" LPR filter soon - I'm hoping that will solve the problem...

I've had another go taking more care - will post at lunch time.

Ok, maybe this is better... here's my best effort before running out of talent:

m33-b.jpg

Also, I found it easier to protect the red channel when only processing the core. Not entirely sure what I did differently, but this seems to have brought out those lovely dust lanes to some extent...

post-17708-133877508785_thumb.jpg

Shibby - lovely those pics. I quite like the first ones because the sky is blacker.

How long was each sub-frame exposure? I just wondered. You said these were unguided.

I too had a go at photographing this galaxy last night, although only for my notebook really not for super imaging.

It's very faint M33 isn't it? Even last night being a moonless night, and relatively clear, I could only just make out M33 through bins and telescope with averted vision.

Great reprocessing effort there, much improved. It shows that you've got plenty of data there to play with, I'm sure one of the processing gurus will be able to offer advice on how to maximise it. One thing I have done before is to make a copy of the image, and processing the two separately to bring out different elements, for example where you've got more detail in the dust lanes, and then layering the two together to get the best of both.

Thankyou guys! One of these days I'll get it right first time!

How long was each sub-frame exposure? I just wondered. You said these were unguided.

The subs were all 2 minutes. I still get hints of trailing in some of the subs, but I find DSS to be very forgiving about these so long as the focus is good and you have enough subs.

One thing I have done before is to make a copy of the image, and processing the two separately to bring out different elements, for example where you've got more detail in the dust lanes, and then layering the two together to get the best of both.

I might just try this. Wouldn't be the first time I've been through several iterations of reprocessing, particularly with the recent bad weather before this weekend!

I was going to have a crack at this last night Lewis and couldn't find the flippin' thing. When I do find it, I hope mine turns out as good as this.

You going to mod the D70? Go on - you know you want to! :)

I was going to have a crack at this last night Lewis and couldn't find the flippin' thing. When I do find it, I hope mine turns out as good as this.

You going to mod the D70? Go on - you know you want to! :)

Have a look near Andromeda :D

To Find M33: First find M31, the Great Galaxy in Andromeda. Start from 3rd base of the Great Square of Pegasus. Then, simply count stars, 1, 2 to Beta Andromeda (away from the great square), then up (west) 1, 2 stars, and there it is!

Once you have found M-31, M-33 is on the exact opposite side of Beta And, and an equal amount below the star. M33 is not a naked eye object except in perfectly dark conditions.

- Source: Intro to Autumn Deep-Sky Objects

Cheers Mike. I was looking from traingulum and gave up in the end. It's so high in the sky at the moment as well which makes it more difficult, at least it does for me. I'll follow those directions next time. Obviously this depends on the conditions, but should it be fairly obvious with a 200p with 25mm EP?

Cheers Mike. I was looking from traingulum and gave up in the end. It's so high in the sky at the moment as well which makes it more difficult, at least it does for me. I'll follow those directions next time. Obviously this depends on the conditions, but should it be fairly obvious with a 200p with 25mm EP?

I can find it with a 150P and a 32mm EP, but that gives me a higher field of view. I'd have thought it would be obvious on a 200P with 25mm EP but you might find it harder to find.

Having said that, I used GOTO to find it the last two times I went looking for it, so I was already in the neighbourhood so to speak.

Archived