Which Guide Camera?

ashworthacca

Hi guys, I was going to buy a QHY5 to attach to my ST80 to use as guiding but I have read one or two reports of problems finding guide stars.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best guide camera (to connect to my laptop and work with PHD, not standalone) that works well with a ST80 ota. I'm looking at spending no more than £200.

Thanks in advance.:D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never had a problem finding stars with my QHY5v on a finderscope

I was looking at the QHY5v and the only difference to the QHY5 I can see is the sensor size? I'm assuming the QHY5v would give me a smaller field of view so less stars to guide from?? Is the QHY5v more sensitive than the QHY5?

Hmmm, is that unmodified?

Yes, unmodified. Obviously not as sensitive as a QHY5, but I have never failed to locate a guide star, so it's a superb and effective budget option. Personally, I don't see any reason for me to get a 'proper' guide cam.

Yes, unmodified. Obviously not as sensitive as a QHY5, but I have never failed to locate a guide star, so it's a superb and effective budget option. Personally, I don't see any reason for me to get a 'proper' guide cam.

Thanks Luke, something for me to investigate.:D

For the price I've just ordered one with nosepiece and IR/UV filter. Might give lunar/planetary imaging a try even if it's not ideal for guiding.:D

Not had a problem with the QHY5v on my ST80 Clone Martin. Always spoilt for choice so far. The 5v makes a cracking little lunar/planetary cam into the bargain. There are 2 differences between the 5v and the 5. The sensor size, and the shutter... the 5 has a rolling shutter (not quite sure on that, I think it means it exposes line by line) the 5v has a global shutter, meaning it exposes the entire sensor array at once. btw, the 5v has a slightly larger sensor than the SPC880/900... I know, I combined the mono 5v data with colour spc900 data :D...

take a look at my recent lunar and planetary imaging for results with the 5v.

Not had a problem with the QHY5v on my ST80 Clone Martin. Always spoilt for choice so far. The 5v makes a cracking little lunar/planetary cam into the bargain. There are 2 differences between the 5v and the 5. The sensor size, and the shutter... the 5 has a rolling shutter (not quite sure on that, I think it means it exposes line by line) the 5v has a global shutter, meaning it exposes the entire sensor array at once. btw, the 5v has a slightly larger sensor than the SPC880/900... I know, I combined the mono 5v data with colour spc900 data ;)...

take a look at my recent lunar and planetary imaging for results with the 5v.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.:D

As the camera is primarily to be used for guiding knowing that the QHY5v works with the ST80 is comfort to me....thanks John. Popping in to have a look at your lunar/planetary work now.:D

EDIT: Woooo, I like the images on your blog John, I'm really excited at the prospect of shooting Jupiter and just hope that i can get something close to what you achieved.

After taking onboard all the comments on this thread and speaking to Adam at Rother Valley Optics I decided to get the mono QHY5. Its all setup with PHD now so hopefully Saturday will have clear skies (well that's the Met Office prediction anyway :) )

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I would have voted for the Lodestar...

Bit more money I know, but never had a problem, never fails to find a suitable star....

I had a QHY5 before and had no end of problems with drivers and compatability, but this was a couple of years ago now so things may have improved....

I would have voted for the Lodestar...

Bit more money I know, but never had a problem, never fails to find a suitable star....

I had a QHY5 before and had no end of problems with drivers and compatability, but this was a couple of years ago now so things may have improved....

I have the QHY5 connected to an old Dell D510 laptop running Windows XP. Setup first time and initial tests seem to suggest it's working:(

First time out doing a proper run will hopefully confirm everything is ok. You are the first to recommend the Lodestar......wouldn't have had a problem paying extra as long as what I end up with works. If the QHY5 plays up it's one to consider. Thanks daz.

I just want to point out that with the QHY5 you need to ensure you always plug it into the same USB port each time you use it, ie the one that you set it up on initially, plug it into a different USB port and it will tell you it cannot find the camera!

Thanks....good tip to remember.:)

It's always worthwhile making sure you always use the same USB port anyway, or you'll end up with drivers getting installed for each port. That's where a USB hub comes into it's own... as you can leave everything plugged into it, and just use one lead to the puter. I really need to get this sorted out myself.

It's always worthwhile making sure you always use the same USB port anyway, or you'll end up with drivers getting installed for each port. That's where a USB hub comes into it's own... as you can leave everything plugged into it, and just use one lead to the puter. I really need to get this sorted out myself.

I've never found a usb hub stable enough........anyone have any recommendations for a good quality one that doesn't need external power?

Archived