SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

G forces and space?

Manok101

Yes, unless you are on star trek - I think they only seem to feel G forces during explosions when they grab something to avoid falling over. Never seen them get pinned to the back of the bridge when going into warp drive.

G forces are the result of acceleration and deceleration - an atmosphere is not necessary. This has stuff to do with relativity, I think. Have you seen the centrifuges they put astronauts in? They spin you round really fast. The centrifugal force pushes you outward from the centre, making you experience g forces. This force is felt throughout the universe, and so is not subject to atmospheres.

Yes, unless you are on star trek - I think they only seem to feel G forces during explosions when they grab something to avoid falling over. Never seen them get pinned to the back of the bridge when going into warp drive.

Well that would be because of the inertia dampening field. It's the same thing that stops them all from being ejected through the front viewscreen when the vessel goes from Warp Factor 9 (1,516 x light speed according to the TNG technical manual *GEEK ALERT* :D) to a dead stop in under 2 seconds.

It's all complete nonsense really though :D

Like badger said, air has nothing to do with whether you "feel" gravity or not. my physics prof showed us a neat demonstration involving two ~2m tubes, each with a feather inside. For one tube, he sucked all of the air out with a pump to create a vacuum and left the air in the other tube. he then spun the tubes around to watch the feathers drop and the feather in the vacuum tube fell as fast as a rock. really cool

Archived