Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie from Dorset Coast/New Forest

bevmck

Hi all

Just wanted to say hello. I've just registered, but I've been scanning the posts here for a few days, trying to get the feel of things.

I've suffered a long illness for about 20 years and am now pretty stable. I've decided it's time to do some of things I've always wanted to do, but couldn't due to health, time and money constraints and astronomy is one of them, so here I am. I plan to buy a telescope, but before I do I need to do some serious learning. I've ordered a planisphere and a beginner's guide to astronomy and I'm going to print out the skymaps pdf.

I have a 7 year old and I'm on my own, so it won't be easy, but I figure if I don't start now, it might never happen.

Look forward to reading posts and getting some great advice.

Just for starters. I am quite near to 2 astronomical societies, one in Dorset and one across the forest in Southampton, although both will require a fairly long drive. I don't know if I should join one or if I could just go it alone. If anyone has any opinions - I'd appreciate them.

Regards

Bev

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bev and welcome to SGL :D

You'll find this forum excellent for advice on all aspects of astronomy. However you can't beat the personal touch with other like minded people. So I would advise joining one of the two astro socs near you - you may find some of the members are here as well. Then you'll have the perfect combination of forum and local society.

Hi Bev and welcome to the forum. Joining societies are a good idea but like so many things, some are better than others. Forums like this one and others (Cloudy Nights) along with observing groups like the one mentioned above are, in my honest opinion, more helpful as they are more hands on with the emphasis being on getting out there and having a go. Some societies have public outreach nights which can be really helpful but in my experience there aren't enough of them, as a lot of societies contain members who don't do any observing.

I'm pleased that you've got started in astronomy - you won't be disappointed! :D

Clear skies

James

Hi Bev, I'm new as well, just got a small scope and currently "going it alone" with a copy of "Turn Left at Orion", which is recommended all over. I'm hoping to attend an observing night in Weymouth in January. By the sound of it you live further east than me, did you know about the Wessex Astonomical Society, which meets in Wimborne and Swanage? Might be closer to you.

Hi Bev,

Welcome to SGL. Hope you find the forum helpful as you begin your quest into this hobby. And hopefully your 7yr old may become interested too, which would make things easier.

You are more than welcome to join our South Coast group here on SGL, i can send you an invite. We meet in the New Forest, not far from Fordingbridge, if that helps and have a few members that come up from around the Dorset area. There's no official paperwork or fees, just pop along, have a chat, look though the scopes etc. Get a feel for the hobby without spending any money.

Anyway, just let me know and i'll send an invite.

Regards

Well, what a welcome. Thanks for making me feel at home.

@BAZ Senior Yes I have Stellarium - very fascinating.

@li'l john I'm the other side of Bournemouth near Christchurch. Wimborne's not too bad, but Durlston is quite a trip. I plan to go to one of the events though, ideally something I can bring my son to.

@Russ I'd be very interested in joining the South Coast group - Fordingbridge is not too far for me. Sounds like just what I need.

I've also sent off a form to HantsAstro.

Thanks for all your kind welcome posts!

Bev

Archived