SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which focal reducer

Im contemplating buying a focal reducer for my SCT (for xmas :D), will be for a DSLR not CCD, any suggestions on which reducer is best? Meade, Celestron, Antares? Also, if you could point me to the cheapest place to buy it i'd be veryyyyyy greatful :D

The Celestron FR is great in the Celestron SCT's cos it's specifically made for them. You can get them s/h for about 2/3rds the retail price in the for sale section or astro B/S.

I would think similar is true for the other makes, but have no idea how they perform if you mix 'n' match. I only have the Celestron ones :D

Stick to the 6.3 reducer for a DSLR, the 3.3 is only for VERY small CCD chips.

The Meade/Celestron or Clone reducers all work ok in the Meade or Celestron standard SCT's. As has been stated above, do not plan on using them on the Edge HD or ACF models as the optics wont match.

Im contemplating buying a focal reducer for my SCT (for xmas :D), will be for a DSLR not CCD, any suggestions on which reducer is best? Meade, Celestron, Antares? Also, if you could point me to the cheapest place to buy it i'd be veryyyyyy greatful :D

The Denkmeier StarSweeper (0.5x, 0.7x) is missing from the list of usual suspects, I think.

Archived