SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ethos 8mm on Auction site

Space Beagle

Well that went for £360 in the end. A tad overpriced me thinks.

Which was the original "buy it now" price !.

Seems a bit high but I guess if the buyer had the funds for a new one they have made a saving of some sort and people tend to look after their Tele Vue gear.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
May come across as over priced but the seller won't see anything like £360 after fees. EBay and PayPal are the biggest con artists I have ever come across. Watch how you are paid by the bidder IE: £150 + £8 P&P Due to the now mandatory payment option of PayPal most pick this so you get your £158 in the PayPal account and get charged a fee for the total £158 but hang on I haven't got £158 from the sale as eBay takes IE: £9 for fees ???? So I only actually see £149 from the sale but PayPal charge me fees on £158 totaling £10 so as eBay & PayPal are of the same group in actual fact eBay has charged me there fees twice for selling the same item. Grand total of £19

Clever how they don't subtract their fee before hand and I'm sure perfectly legal how they have it set up due to our option on how we choose to pay our fees but none the less a little con that earns them a further £2 on top of the £9 they already stung us with. Also bear in mind we get charged fees on the total sum not taking into account if we put P&P as £8 which postage comes in on £8 at the Post office we will be at a loss once more as we have paid a £1 fee on this.

All are approximate evaluations and are only for a purpose of example.

I have had to over price a listing for an eyepiece as by the time eBay and PayPal take their chunk I only end up with what I'm asking in the first place. You try to say the item is available else where and you either get a warning or they remove the listing "yet another new dreamed up rule"

I agree with you to some extent Nick but the advantage of Ebay is that you can market your sale to a far wider audience, even worldwide, than you would otherwise. No such thing as a free lunch but it's not a cheap one with Ebay that's for sure! This is why I never Ebay Astro gear. If you price it fairly, there's always someone on SGL or AB&S that will buy it, appreciate it and give you the full price for it.

As for this specific EP - the buyer must be mad.

I tried AB&S earlier this month to sell my 127 MAK for £235 posted. Ended up with no response so put it on Ebay for £259.99 and sold with in 2 days. Again after fees etc I only ended up with what I original intended to walk away with £219 The buyer was chuffed even though they can be found for only £20 more new. And I got the price I wanted plus positive feedback.

The EP I'm selling has had no interest but I think for the amount I've actually used it I don't want to loose too much on it. If it sell then great but as I haven't used it much if it doesn't sell at least I will get to use it until it dose.

I will give it a go on the forum but I doubt it will generate any further interest that it already has. Shame as it's a good EP it just no longer fits in to my line up.

I tried AB&S earlier this month to sell my 127 MAK for £235 posted

I will give it a go on the forum but I doubt it will generate any further interest that it already has. Shame as it's a good EP it just no longer fits in to my line up.

What did you think of the Mak and how come you sold?

I would have been interested if I didn't already have a 21mm ethos! There must be someone on the forum looking to buy what is a great ep. I know its great because I have used one myself. :)

To me it seems that the 2nd hand market is a bit dead at the moment and has been for the past month or so. There has been some quality gear available at good prices and it seems as though there isn't the usual amount of interest. Normally your Nagler would have got snapped up pretty quick I imagine.

There is also the "Tele Vue factor" going on here plus a dash of the "Ethos factor" as well. That, combined with the heat of an e.bay auction, is not conducive to level headedness !.

Definitely true! This was too much for me. When you factor in the Telescope House 10% sale it is dangerously close to the new price.

What did you think of the Mak and how come you sold?.

It just didn't jingle my bells all the way.

I purchased in March and only used it a few times over the warmer months. I purchased it not knowing about dew and cool down times until I joined the forum. The talk of £££'s for dew shields, tape etc put me off. You do get good view from a MAK given it's compact size but I don't think it's work chucking copious amounts of money at. As it was I only purchase as a grab and go the thought of a 2 hr cool down time and carrying around a heavy power tank to run dew tapes just wasn't what I had in mind.

Archived