Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12" Dob On an EQ-6

I've just been thinking about what would be the best scope I could get for Lunar/Planetary imaging and suddenly had a thought (uh oh), I already have a 12" Skyliner dob and was wondering whether It could be used.

I've been looking at the EQ-6 which has a load capacity of 25kg, after alot of research I've found out the weight of the OTA + Webcam + tube rings etc will come to around 25kg.

I know for long exposures this would be a definate no-no.

My question then is will this be completely unworkable for imaging the planets and the moon with very short webcam exposures or could I get away with it?

It's going to be very borderline for even short webcam exposures ad will require a lot of counterweights and probably a counterweight axis extension. It's a bit of a stretch.

Usually, building (or buying) an equatorial platform will be less hassle and give you a much more stable scope. Geoptik has one (Teleskop Service sells it), and in the 'States you have either Tom Osypowski (Equatorial Platforms: Home Page) --built like a tank, rather expensive, but you can even have a platform that lets you dabble with long exposure astrophotography with autoguiding!-- or Atomic Equatorial Platforms - Home.

Atomic Platforms doesn't ship to Europe, so be sure to let them ship to a US address; you have services that will give you a US postal address (not PO box) and will forward you the stuff via FedEx, like Mail and package shipping and forwarding services - Mailbox International .

Atomic Platform is rumoured to balk at shipping the scope if you mention you use such a forwarder (even though these actually insure the shipment.)

It's going to be very borderline for even short webcam exposures ad will require a lot of counterweights and probably a counterweight axis extension. It's a bit of a stretch.

Usually, building (or buying) an equatorial platform will be less hassle and give you a much more stable scope. Geoptik has one (Teleskop Service sells it), and in the 'States you have either Tom Osypowski (Equatorial Platforms: Home Page) --built like a tank, rather expensive, but you can even have a platform that lets you dabble with long exposure astrophotography with autoguiding!-- or Atomic Equatorial Platforms - Home.

Atomic Platforms doesn't ship to Europe, so be sure to let them ship to a US address; you have services that will give you a US postal address (not PO box) and will forward you the stuff via FedEx, like Mail and package shipping and forwarding services - Mailbox International .

Atomic Platform is rumoured to balk at shipping the scope if you mention you use such a forwarder (even though these actually insure the shipment.)

Thanks sixela, I was also thinking about an equatorial platform and only just received an email from atomic platforms saying how they don't ship to Europe before signing on to SGL.

That's a good idea about getting a US postal address but I may end up going for this one equatorial-platforms-uk. It's £515 but I figure the extra money spent may be worth it if I ever need to send it back etc.

Thanks alot for the help and clear skies to you :)

That's actually (once you factor in the transport, VAT and import duties) not much more expensive than an Atomic platform, actually (don't underestimate how much shipping something as bulky costs: my Tom Osypowski cost about that amount of money just for the shipping and VAT), and they certainly look fine.

Archived