sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Advice on Binoculars (xmas gift)

Hey, guys. :)

This is my (frustrating) situation: I'm considering buying a pair of binoculars for a relative that has a passing interest in astronomy, but I have no knowledge of the subject myself so I'm clueless as to what to buy. And to make tasks more difficult, my budget is a measly £50 (I'm willing to spend less, :D...)

I've done a bit of research and found that, with my small budget, a pair of 7x50 binoculars would generally be the best way to go. But which do I choose?

These handsomely priced Lugers:

Luger FX 7x50 Binocular Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Or these drool-inspiringly priced Celestrons:

Celestron 00149863 Upclose 7x50 Porro Prism Binocular: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Are they cheap and cheerful, or cheap for a reason?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

ok, have a look at FLO, the site sponser, they are/wer doing celestron skywatcher 15x70 bins for a shade under £50 and they are fantastic, worth pinging an email to see if they still at that price and a great shop to deal with

+1 about the celestron 15 x 70 being the dog's danglies, you only have to look at the huge thread about them to see how highly regarded they are.

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/110121-celestron-skymaster-15x70-reduced.html

the only problem is they are fair size and ideally need to be supported even if it's just by resting one's elbows on something which may be a problem if it's either a relative who is a bit frail / weak

Edited by tinvek