SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 Power Supply?

Alan D

Hi

Considering HEQ5 Skyscan mount. (did a post earlier that answered some of my queries)

Feedback seems to be that the supplied powerpack is Rubbish?

If so what alternatives do you HEQ5 users use to supply power etc?

Any other info regarding this mount would be helpful :D

Cheers

Alan

Hi Kev

Daft question but how does this work?

Is it first charged by the mains and then run on it`s own? If so how long does it last?

Cheers

Alan

Lo Alan

Not a daft question at all and Your assumption is correct. :) It will run the HEQ5 all night and then some. :D Some of the good things about this particular type of power pack are that the jump leads are not fixed to the body so they don't get in the way and the fluorescent light is handy at the end of the session so You can find all the bits you didn't realise You had dropped. :?

Hi Kev

Not sure on this but I gather the connection to the HEQ5 is via a cigarette lighter type socket? Do you have to purchase a conector to use this power pack or is it already to plug in? So can you just remove the jump leads period?

I know what you mean about all those bits you lose in the dark. My problem is I realise I`ve dropped the boody things then can`t find um :D

Heard nothing but good reports on the HEQ5 so I hope this will be the mount for me! Considered the EQ6 but can`t justify the extra money if I am only sticking my 8" Newt on it Unless I can be pursuaded otherwise :)

Cheers

Alan

Lo Alan

You get a lead with the mount but I am not sure if they have changed them as they were carp and under rated for the mounts, some retailers started to supply Astronomiser leads with the mount. The jump leads have a plug on them so they don't have to get in the way. If You can, go for the EQ6 as the extra weight carrying capacity will eventually be used when You add extra kit onto the Newt. :shock:

I have just got the Halfords Power pack ready for my new mount.I decided to get the more expensive one as it has a inverter so i could also run my laptop if imaging.They are 20 amp hours so should be plenty powerful enough

I have just got the Halfords Power pack ready for my new mount.I decided to get the more expensive one as it has a inverter so i could also run my laptop if imaging.They are 20 amp hours so should be plenty powerful enough

Lo Kai

Sorry my reply was so slow. If You were to check Your Lap-Top's max power requirement I think You will be as disappointed as I was. :D

Hi Kev

You say go for the EQ6 which I am considering, as you correctly point out I will be adding bits to my Newt.

Just noticed on your Equipment specs that you use one. Do you have any issues on lifting your mount?

(I have to move my gear about 10yrds from storage point to viewing) I see so many contradictory comments ie "to heavy to move" "no problem" "only get one if you have a permanent site" etc .

Cheers

Alan

Lo Alan

The head weighs about 17kilos so to some people it might seem heavy. When we go observing I have to carry it in bits from the car about 10m to set-up and after a few set-ups it becomes second nature and I don't even worry about the weight, but a warning don't try to move it with the scopes and counter weights on as it is an accident waiting to happen. I have heard of someone trying to shift the whole lot in one go but it started to tip and one leg caught on the ground and gravity helped a lot :nono:

When you start using one it does seem a bit daunting but you get used to setting it up and soon you will be placing the mount onto the tripod one-handed while doing up the central locking bolt with the other :D

Kev

I will cancel the Gymn subscription so save a few bob in the process :D

17 kilos is not to bad as I only have to walk a few yards from my basement to set up area in my back garden.

Does it take a lot of fiddling to put the head on etc?

I think it is the EQ6 then! I just know if i go HEQ5 I will be kicking myself if I want to upgrade to a large scope when my Lotto numbers come up :) I think the extra investment now will pay dividends in stability for imaging after adding a guide scope to my newt and my DSLR. Looking at getting an ED80 for widefield and use as a guide scope with the newt.

Cheers

Alan

Lo Alan

I think You have made the right decision. The head just plonks right down on the tripod recess and self centers itself ready for the central bolt.

As for the ED80 just the job nice and light and good for widefield. But. There is always a but, adding kit to Your Newt will be another expense as there is a myriad of options to mount the kit with so think ahead and try to imagine what You might be adding next so that the mounting option is flexible. Meaning, an allowance on the positioning of the Newt and the ED80 for future balance problems You might face :? Take a look at < http://www.astrodevelopments.co.uk/ > I use the M3 system and it works but have a look around and see what other people use, Arthur at < http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ambermile/index.htm > does a lot of bespoke mounting options which are very good as well. Start looking before You buy the mount and you will have a good idea what You might need down the line. 8)

Hi Kev

Good points!

You can get carried away without thinking about all those extras you will need to achieve the desired outcome.

I have now placed my order for the EQ6 Skyscan so that`s sorted :D

Will go ahead and get the power pack 100 for £49.99 from Halfords as that seems to be a favourite as appose to the more expensive one, any thoughts on this? (refering to your reply to Kai)

Thanks for the web links this is another area I have yet to consider properly. I did construct a very basic fixed bracket a while ago with the intention of using my old ST80 as a guide scope but the bracket is static so has limitations for a guide star?

Yet to order the ED80 but I have been impressed with some of the widefield images that have been done with this scope and I am hoping the visual use will blow away my ST80? Which to be honest spends it`s life sitting on an EQ1 and is not used.

Cheers

Alan

Lo Alan

I have tried my lap-top on the powertank with a without the battery in and was disappointed with how quick it killed it and this was without the EQ6 being plugged in :)

Using it for about nine hours with the EQ6 it never troubled it at all. The best thing for the ED80 is a set of rings with the collimating screws instead of the clamp rings so you could pick a guide star without having to move the main scope. You could even use the ST80 as a guide scope and see how you get on with it :D

Thanks for all your advice Kev much appreciated :D

Waiting for the EQ6 Synscan to arrive is going to be so slowwwww

Looking forward to spending more time imaging DSO`s instead of spending half the night trying to find um!

Never had GOTO so should be fun.

Cheers

Alan

Archived