SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just seen the Ring Nebula

Been trying different EPs in the Quantum 7.4s (25x100) binos. Using a combination of an Antares 15 mm Plossl and an Ascension SWA 15 mm I managed to rack these bins up to 40x100. Although the EPs weren't well matched it did give an idea what these bins could achieve at 40x magnification. There were clear bands on Jupiter and the open clusters in Auriga were quite breathtaking with over 50 stars clearly resolved in M38 and M36. Although Lyra was in my LP west, and I could only see two of the four stars in the parallelogram below Vega, I went looking for M57, the Ring Nebula. To my surprise there it was, small but perfectly formed. Something I never thought I would see in binoculars.

You don't need really dark skies for either M57 or M1. M57 you need to know where to look, once found it's quite easy. M1 is quite easy to locate just above Zeta Tau I can even see this one in my 4" refractor.

Archived