Hello From Vancouver BC

machinist

Hello all, I’ve been living on the west coast of Canada since leaving the UK over 30 years ago and I’m just getting back into some active observing after many years.

A buddy of mine and cousin Astronut is registered on this site, which is how I came to know about it. Astronut posted a couple of my photos of the long 2009 Asian solar eclipse taken aboard the Costa Classica.

A recent visit to the telescopes atop Mauna Kea on the big island of Hawaii was the final inspiration that incited me to purchase a scope and get started again with my old hobby.

The scope is a goto Celestron NexStar 8SE, not my first choice but a compromise for the sake of portability. The thing arrived yesterday and took only about 20 minutes in total to get out of the box and assemble. Optical tube looks good but the mount seems a bit plasticy on a tripod that could be a bit heavier but time will tell how it performs, as I said it’s a compromise for the sake of portability and ease of use. The last scope I had was a pain to set up and wouldn’t fit in the car to take anywhere so consequently didn’t get used much. With the state of the weather here at this time of year it could be a while until it sees first light.

Anyway I’m glad to join SGL!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL!

Even though we live in the same county, in terms of time zones, you're as far from me as the folks in the UK!

Just over a year, I, too, bought a NexStar 8SE as a compromise scope. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Archived