SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

single Jupiter image 25th November 2010

Hi, I managed to get out last night for an hour and do some imaging.

I have attached my best single image of Jupiter, my question is it appears slightly fuzzy, now granted the seeing was all over the shop, but can I consider this single image to be of a good standard..?

I captured over 100 images of almost comparable quality, and so is it worth my time to stack them or should I start again on a better night?

cheers

post-14647-133877505336_thumb.jpg

I captured over 100 images of almost comparable quality, and so is it worth my time to stack them or should I start again on a better night?

cheers

I'd be inclined to stack 'em and see,as they say. :)

The single frame (with a little help from PS) suggests you have a quite nice widefield view of Jupiter there............. might be an idea to rotate it though. :D

post-13495-133877505394_thumb.jpg

What did you use to image it? Most of the images you see on this forum are a stacked series of 1000-2000 individual frames. A single image will never produce the detail of a stacked set.

That said, it's not bad for a single frame!

Hi,

LukeBl, I used my set up as listed in my sig, Canon 100D and Skywatcher 200p, with my Hyperion 17mm, it was quite windy but my garden is sheltered by all the houses around.

Cloudwatcher, that is amasing!

when you say a little help from photoshop is that editing contrast and things from the information rather than 'touching up'...?

I have tried stacking the 10 best images in registax and I get the attached, so I guess that my Christmas holiday reading is the registax tutorials..

post-14647-133877506236_thumb.jpg

Cloudwatcher, that is amasing!

when you say a little help from photoshop is that editing contrast and things from the information rather than 'touching up'...?

You just have to isolate the planet as a separate layer then play with levels on the background. The moon and stars will start to show through but don't push it too far as it becomes difficult to tell stars from noise. :) Apply a little blurring and you have a reasonable star field.

Brighten,saturate and blur the planet and that's all there is to it really.

If you look closely at Jupiter you can see the shadow of the moon on the surface.

Lovely. I was webcamming Jupiter on the same evening - my first ever go with the web cam. I've got 2 minutes of shaky jupiter and very inconsistent seeing. I was wondering what the next steps would be for that - seems it's worth having a go at stacking to see what happens.

...either that or uploading it here and hoping that someone does it for me :):wink::D

Archived