740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Skywatcher 250P Flextube Auto Help

Hi,

I have a Skywater Skyliner 250P Autotracking dobsonian. I have have been trying to use the auto tracking function but seem to be having some trouble.

I have input my latitude and when I turn it on have it pointing north, like instructed. I also make sure it is on level ground. But when I turn the auto tracking on (When viewing Jupiter for instance) the object drifts up slowly over time. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, when I try to lower the telescope when tracking, it seems to jolt down before slewing slowly?

I'm hoping it's something I'm doing wrong as I paid the extra for the auto tracking, but don't seem to be able to get it working!!!

Many thanks,

Adam

It took me a while before I became comfortable with mine tracking, the mechanics aren't as refined as say my smaller, cheaper nexstar slt ....a few comments here though

"But when I turn the auto tracking on (When viewing Jupiter for instance) the object drifts up slowly over time. Am I doing something wrong?"

There is a lot of slack in the gears with some of these scopes - you need to centre the object moving slowly right and up (in eastern skies) or down (in western skies), this ensures that the slack is taken up and the scope is ready to move in the right direction sight away

The tracking on mine isnt smooth, the object will move a bit then get pulled back, and even if it moves out of the field of view the slow motion slewing controls move it back easily if you centred going the right way (and if you centred going the wrong way then then the slewing will work only once the gears have taken up all the slack, which can take ages at slow tracking speed), and this is much easier than nudging a non-auto dob

when I try to lower the telescope when tracking, it seems to jolt down before slewing slowly?

re slewing slowly - when tracking is on, the 3 slew speeds are much slower than the 3 speeds when tracking is turned off

re the jolt - i've not experienced this when tracking, but I have with tracking turned off the scope can sometimes jolt downwards a few degrees when moving it - with my scope the tracking being on seems to engage the gears and prevent this.

Hope that helps a bit

• 3 months later...

hi got my 250p out first time tonight tracking is not good 1 to 2 mins on a 25 m ep did as is said on the tin re the set up also Any ideas as to what the other buttons are for on the auto hand set cruise set and go ?

thanks andy