SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eye Piece / Barlow Advice

jasondh

I have been enjoying my first steps into astronomy but I would like to see a little more.

Eye piece wise I have as below a 25mm, 10mm and a 5mm.

Could anyone recommend a good Barlow to get to double them up, or better than double if it would work.

My eyepieces are 1.25" I believe so I assume the Barlow would also need to be.

Incidentally would I get better clarity using 2" eyepieces?

Also would I benefit from a better quality eyepiece the same length as one I already have?

Thanks.

Celestron 2x Ultima's are very popular and regarded as a good grade barlow. Antares 1.6x (2") I have and find very good. Any Televue is gonna be great but expensive, especially the TV Powermates (cream of the crop some would say).

A good budget barlow is the Tal 2x and 3x. The 2" range will enable you to use 2" wider fov eye pieces - though not neccessarily better clarity - there are good ones and bad ones and all depends on quality.

I like to buy second hand for the savings available. :)

A 2.3mm eyepiece in a 1200mm focal length scope gives 521x - you would never be able to use anywhere near this magnification. 240x is the practical maximum on most nights with the occasional "trip" to 300x or so occasionally when the seeing is excellent.

To be honest a 2x barlow is not going to really help you.

Why?

you have 25mm 10mm and 5mm

All the barlow will give you is 12.5mm 5mm and 2.5mm

You will probably find that the 5mm as is will only really be used in excellent seeing conditions, 2.5mm just wont work really.

Your not going to gain anything really.

And also.....

a 2X barlow on the 25mm would yield the same magnification as a 12.5 mm - not very much different from the 10mm view,;

2X barlow with the 10mm will give you the same magnification as the 5mm

and barlowing the 5mm will give you a very high magnification - far too high really for a ten inch scope - you would be better off buying higher quality eyepieces than a barlow.

Thanks all.

I guess my questions have been answered in that I was wondering if someone might just have said "yes, what are you waiting for. you must buy a Barlow" My scope came with the 25mm and 10mm and the supplier also threw in a better quality 5mm.

I am still in wonder about what I am seeing but I also was thinking that, what if with the addition of one or both of the above, my night viewing would get even better.

Hi Jason,

as has been said, you have got a range of ep's that mean using a barlow might not give much better results, although the 5mm is probably a bit to powerfull for you. I would recommend you try a better quality ep in the range of 8-9mm to see the difference in quality. This the reason I sold my barlow, I preferred to go for a better ep and not add to the link between the eyepiece and your eye.

Alan

Either you improve in quality or you are pretty well set.

The only gap I see in your current EP set is something around 15mm. I find this the most used FoV for DSOs. This 15mm can become 13mm with a widefield EP that will yeld the same FoV with a bit more magnification. I would avoid barlows unless you start getting very expensive EPs. Then a good barlow will double it's use but with cheaper EPs a good barlow can cost as much or more then an EP.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you suggest then some replacement EP's for the ones I have in terms of manufacturer etc.

For instance I can see a range of prices out there but what would be worth spending optimally.

Sorry I didnt look at your signature! I would say Skywatcher Nirvana, Aero, Panaview ep's could be worth considering. A the moment Meade are selling their Series 5000 SWA for under £100, they have been getting some good comments on here as have Baader Planitarium with their Genuine ortho and Hyperion. Have a look on FLO'S website, I think you get a discount if your a member of SGL.

Alan

Archived