Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

pbyrne

Last New Purchase

Hi all

I'm a firm believer in buying second hand, those in the astronomy community tend to take very good care of their equipment as there tends to be a lot of cash handed over in purchasing said equipment.

I'm just curious to know what was the last item that you bought new and when was that?

For me it was a William Optics ZS80, and that was about 4 years ago.

Baader Hyperion zoom eyepiece 8-24mm (used and mint) and I agree with you :-)

Steve

I guess my NEQ6 :)

I bought a 150/EQ3-2 combo and didn't think the scope was suitable for that mount so returned it. I had the credit kept as store credit and decided to go jump in the deep end and buy further up the ladder. The money was already on it's way so new seemed a good option ;)

So the NEQ6 was my last new purchase :D

And I agree with you on 2nd hand astro stuff. The majority of it is spotless and the 2nd hand astro market is pretty much essential to this hobby. Allows us to work our way up the ladder :(

My Orion 8" F4 Newt new in summer and before that my HEQ5 Pro in spring. I dont mind buying second hand, as we amature astronomer type folk do take good care of kit, BUT, I dont trust the UK's postal service so tend to buy new, from reputable suppliers when the goods are well insured. I have heard to many horror stories of folks loosing out due to damage in transit and the Royal Mail not paying up insurance.

If I do buy 2nd hand then I like to go pick up the goods.

gary

For me it was my Astrotrac and Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod to pop it on. The tripod only arrived today and the Astrotrac a couple of weeks ago.

I do try to go 2nd hand but I also like a bargain and got a Meade 5000 34mm SWA recently for £149 new.

Paul. I have a foot in both camps - I purchased new a Baader Hyperion 8mm EP and Neodymium Filter only 2 days ago. Guilty as charged ;)

My last two purchases were third-hand, including my 12" scope :)

Hi,

I don't mind buying accessories second hand, but I doubt if I would buy a

telescope that way. I think it is worth paying 20% extra for the peace of

mind two years warranty brings. I have just bought a WO FLT 98 Alu from

FLO, I would not have parted with that much cash to an unknown source.

I am also a bit dubious about 2nd hand gear - at least if its not from someone who I can trust to have looked after it and not used brillo to clean the optics with.

Seen too many posts on here where people drop stuff, clean it with brasso etc to make me feel very comfy about 2nd hand gear in the main.

I have seen seen someone on ebay for instance saying 'I know nothing about telescopes but have cleaned the glass bits' - thats ok - I know not to buy that one but what about the ones where people dont bother to tell you their 3 year old poured a chocccy milkshake into it but after thay had washed it all out with fairy liquid and a dab of Mr Sheen it looked great :)

It goes without saying you have to tread carefully in the secondhand market. Same goes for any secondhand market. Nobody likes to be mugged off :)

I've just bought my scope secondhand and it's tip-top (whato chappies). Not everyone is a scammer as many like to make out.

However, whenever I can afford it I buy new. If something is a tenner cheaper than new then it's never worth it to me (regardless of percentages). It's always worth paying that little extra for piece of mind and warranties etc.

Hi guys

My last "new" bit of kit was a Celestron 8-24 zoom EP, from fleebay, very nice it is too :)

It has helped no end with the focus issue I have with the R&P hunk O' junk on my 6" newt until I can afford a crayford. I rough focus with the focuser and fine tune it by turning the zoom. Not ideal I grant you but it works real fine ;)

My Canon 400D and an Astrotrac, only new astro gear I've ever bought. :).

A few ortho's maybe But second hand well i just bought a 6"triplet f 10.5( john owen lens) and the tube made by the late Ron irving and i must say i am very happy with it

for anyone who doe's not know of john well he is one of the old school makers of lenses/mirrors and is still making mirrors today I am sure Peter Drew know's john and as i say i can only speak from personal expereance that john is really helpful when it comes to cleaning/collimating/making mirrors a great guy to know and not to many like him left in the uk i suspect.

I can understand why some people are reluctant to buy second hand. Speaking personally I have bought from the UK, Europe, the States and Canada, and have experienced no troubles, perhaps I have been lucky.

With regards to postage difficulties, I would not buy a SCT or Newt, but I have purchased a refractor from the UK and I believe a lot has to do with the seller, all that I have bought has been packaged excellently.

Buying off SGL or Astromart or Cloudynights I find that I am buying with confidence.

I've bought most of my stuff used including all 4 of the scopes I currently own. The PST was probably the biggest risk but I'd dealt with the seller before so I had some confidence in what would show up. My last new purchase was a 6mm Ethos to join it's 8mm and 13mm companions in my eyepiece case :)

The answer to the question for me is a Baader GO 12.5mm which I bought new from FLO.

I have been a big fan of used equipment until recently when I have bought a couple of expensive EPs with varying degrees of damage even though described as mint/like new etc. these ranged from badly scratched optics to obvious 'drop marks' on the barrel/nosepiece to missing caps etc. one I managed to get a refund on and the other I retained as the seller gave me a discount but really this damage should be in an honest ad and the price should reflect it.

My decision is that I will buy new where I can afford to and used where I can see the goods before I buy or truly trust the seller. This may not be appropriate for eg books, finders, dew straps etc where I am not too fussed about condition but for EPs and scopes/mirrors it's a real must for me now.

Like others I cannot see the point in saving say £20-30 on a £150 EP unless a proper inspection is possible and even then.......

Edited by Moonshane

My last astronomy related purchase was a Celestron Travelscope70 back at the end of July. I bought it new.

16" LightBridge, purchased new in July 2010.

(...and i'm kicking myself for not having bought one years ago)