The Moon

cardconvict

This morning on my way to work i looked at the moon and wow it was huge in the sky and still visible in daylight, this afternoon going to the shop i had another look at the moon and it is huge even though it is low in the sky,and the amount of detail you can see well you don't need a scope to enjoy looking at the moon tonight but does anyone know why it looks so big in the sky or is the moon hurtling towards us ?

Ian

Its just an optical illusion. When high in the sky away from land based stuff that can help give us perspective it looks tiny. But its just the fact that its in a massive space. When it is closer to the horizon we see it next to things that we understand the size of and suddenly it looks huge in comparison to them.

Although someone who is standing in for God for a couple of days could have pulled it closer to impress their girlfriend :)

It's a common optical illusion once covered by Sir Patrick in a SAN program. If you look at the full moon low on the horizon the atmosphere appears to magnify it. A few hours later once high in the sky and seen through thinner atmosphere it goes back to it's original size (assuming I understood the program corectly lol) :)

Archived