Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Position of scope body in eq5 mount

Hi,

when the scope was pointing north with the weights down and straight, the eye piece was 45 degress or to the side, so that when i viewed east it was high and pointing up and when west it was low and pointing down.

i have since moved the tube so that the eye piece start up high pointing at sky when scope is north, this keeps the eye peice level both east and west.

is there a better way of doing it so that i am not either on my knees or standng on my friends shoulders.

thanks in advance. :-)

I carefully rotate the tube sometimes to enable me to view things more comfortably. I always make sure that the scope is horizontal and that the mount is locked before i do it though. I have seen comments before that the scope will need re-collimating after being rotated but i have always been extremely gentle when rotating the tube and have never had this problem. Just my opinion and does not work for everyone.:)

I think rotating the tube in the rings, to bring the eyepiece to a more comfortable position, is the only solution. Some folks fit an additional tube ring which rests on the upper one of the two supplied which can be a little looser to aid rotation of the tube.

I think rotating the tube in the rings, to bring the eyepiece to a more comfortable position, is the only solution. Some folks fit an additional tube ring which rests on the upper one of the two supplied which can be a little looser to aid rotation of the tube.

Yup, here you go, 200P on an EQ5 tube ring mod

Rotating Rings for Reflector Telescopes

There's loads of 200P eq5 stuff on the AB site. http://www.astro-baby.com/astro_baby_DIY_astronomy_articles.htm

Archived