Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frustration!

GordonCopestake

Grrrrrrrrr at about 10pm tonight I was driving back from a meal out and saw that the sky was as clear as I've seen it for weeks. Despite all the rain (or perhaps because of it). Orion was getting higher and I could see M42 naked eye (or at least his 'sword'), having not used my new 12" Lightbridge yet I was eager to get home and setup. Got home and chatted with the babysitter for 30 mins and had a glass of merlot, went outside and set up the Lightbridge, came back in etc etc. Finally got to go out at about 11 to observe M42 and M45 only to discover that the clouds had rolled in and covered everything in an orange blanket. To say I was p*ed off was an understatement! At 10pm it was the clearest night I've seen in AGES, at 11pm orange snot. FFS! I hate to rant but it frustrating!! I know that at about 30 seconds after I give up and go to bed it will clear again.... but not until I give up and go to bed!

Well its been mostly clear here but very windy. Even in the shed I can't get the 'scope to stay still enough to get an image of anything. On top of that Vega has gone and now I have to find another star for alignment. That's nearly one a month I have to learn!

According to http://www.met-office.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html its just a lump of cloud which should be gone just as soon as the Merlot is.

Captain Chaos

The Merlot is going down VERY well as I type (which is getting harder) so I doubt i'll be getting the 12" out again tonight. A shame as I havn't seen M42 this season at all!

I have yet to find a nicer red than Merlot. I've tried Shiraz's and cabinet's et al but keep coming back to Merlot. The last time I was in South Africa I drank so much red I had to have my teeth cleaned by my dentist when I got home (no really) but god help me I keep returning to the French stuff. I even dabbled in champagne and visited all the major champagne houses in Reims but despite their best efforts i wasn't a convert (although the missus likes the bubbles, go figure)

I'm a fan of chateau pape de neuf and dont mind spending £30 on a decent bottle of wine, I've driven past the place that makes it but never got to stop and investigate. I keep meaning to go back to france and do a booze run but small children dont travel well apparently :D

The last time I went to france I spent £300 on wine and it lasted me nearly 6 months! A bargain really but my axles never forgave me

Blimy, I dont know how they do it as I can't buy it for that where they make it! Actually no, I DO know how they manage to sell it for that, they buy LOTS! Economies of scale. If I brought a few thousand bottles I wonder if i'd get the same discount? It make my head hurt just thinking about it (or is that lastnights merlot?)

shame about not getting the 12" er out Gordon :(

was very clear when i got in from work at about 9, typical as i had sold my scope that day (thank you again philip :))

so drowned my sorrows in a bottle of my grandads homebrew rhubarb and raisin wine, after the first glass my face went numb :shock: and can't remember much after :D

LOL, sounds like a great night in Rich! I have a gallon of damson wine nearly done and a gallon of apple nearly done. Need to rack them off into bottles this week I think in time for xmas.

I'm still waiting for my set of bob's knobs to turn up from the states, so i havn't even collimated my LB yet. I think I need to sort out my webcam so i can collimate whilst sat at the mirror end. Need to get an adapter sorted from Arthur or someone first though. Flogged my neximage CCD with the intention of using my toucam but never got around to converting it.

Okay - there is one way out of all this bad weather. STOP BUYING ANY ASTO KIT !!! Sorry Steve, but only til the weather clears up.

Three of us up here have bought 'scopes in the last couple of months and have hardly looked through them yet. Rain, Rain & more Rain.

It has been the worst Autumn in West Central Scotland that I can remember in the last 5 years (El Nino year??). I have managed exactly 3 observing sessions since early September. About 4 nights ago I packed up my shiny new 5" 'fract and headed out of the city. Set up, Polar aligned and got 45 minutes of M45 and M31 in very windy weather, before the clouds rolled in again. GRRRRR.

Still, lots of wine being drunk - I like Italian wine - Barollo can be very good indeed - reminicent of warm, balmy Autumn evenings in the Tuscan countryside.

Tom

Talk about frustration!

Tonight, cycling home from work before 8, I could see stars from the middle of the city, so it must ahve been clear. I also saw a beautiful moon just about to set. I was all geared up for a great night. Got home, still clear, brought the scope outside, noticed the moon was just about to fall under the tree line, had a peek but it was already too low. Then half an hour later...

.... :D

:)

That was the first clear night I'd seen in a week, and it lasted an hour.

[removed word].

Andrew

Just read this thread and had to laugh...having just finished off a decent bottle of Italian red while watching a mutant hybrid of Ghostbusters and Planet Earth in the kitchen. The bottle was promised to myself having looked after the 'kids' (16, 15 and 8 ) for the weekend while my wife went on a Christmas-shopping weekend with 'the girls'.

Having spent the weekend running the kids around in the car and chained to the kitchen (no change there then) I can't believe I have willingly sacrificed a clear night (well it was the last time I looked) to render myself incapable of seeing straight in such a calculated and clinical fashion :D

Sometimes youv'e just got to do it :) On the subject of wine, personally, I don't really care what the varietal is, or where it comes from...if I like it..I like it! I've done the wine club bit and even lived in the 'Boutique California' wine region for a while, so I feel I've earned my ignorance :(

Clear skies all,

Tony

Just finishing off my 3rd (hic) glass of Aussie Cabernet Sauvignon. Saw a nice crescent moon about 4.30pm. Rushed home, got changed, ready to put the gear in the car (I live in the city and drive to a dark(ish) site) and it had clouded over again.

Still, the wine is good.

Tom

Archived