Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

teh_orph

Webcam Orion Nebula...WIP!

Would also love to hear the software/settings and what mount?

This evening observing the nebulosity with and without 0III filter so thought I'd give imaging a try on 2-3s exposures. Got focus on betelgeuse then slewed to approx location, dropped a 7m EP in place and centred the nebula, quickly replaced with the webcam .... nothing. Slewing around made no difference and tried this a few times before the clouds started rolling in.

Despite the cold and lack of success imaging I had a good night viewing/attempting images.

For reference the kit I was using:

Skywatcher 130/650 on Supatrak

Lx modded SPC900NC

Sharpcap (settings have been saved from successful Pleiades/star field attempts)

Im not expecting miracles from my kit I'm well aware this gear is far from ideal for imaging but if I can at least get something captured on the cam would be somewhere to start from!

I've been struggling badly the last nights to produce a result with my SPC900. I tried with IR filter, LP filter, 10s exposure, 600s exposure. The nebula NEVER appeared on any pic!!! What should I do? Please let us know ur settings and I invite everyone to try capturing a nebula DSO with a webcam!

That's REALLY nice, very good result for a webcam...

Hope you don't mind... had a bit of a play to try and pull a little more out... might be worth having a play with the original, stretching it a little and seeing what else comes out...

Ben

post-23494-13387772055_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just got hold of 2 ps3 cams for 99p each they selling them in the game store cheap i shall have to mod them sometime test them out on night sky ;) you have guide to mod them ?

Great images teh_orph! I've got a PS3 Eye Toy I use for planetary imaging but would love to give DSO a go. Could you give any more detail on how you managed to get the longer exposures?!

Stargazing_Cliff, I came across this post on another forum which should let you take up to 10s subs with the PS3 Eye Toy:

Code Laboratories > Forums > EyeCapture - Save image sequences from the PS3Eye with timing information

Hope it makes sense!

Thanks for the info

just got another ps3 cam from the gama 2 quid worth getting like.

i even like microphone array system they have on cam quality sound it takes from 4 microphones that inside cam.

mite use one my ps3 cams as ghost hunting cam :)

You can see the trapezium even better than some of my DSLR shots. Love to see if you could further refine this stuff. I remember when starting out its this kind of thing that really inspired me. Nice one!

Did you to get that amazing orion pic did you just put ps3 eyetoy cam with it's orginal lens to telescope eyepiece

or did u remove ps3 eyetoy lens and used from eyetoys sensor ?

Wow! and I mean wow!!,

I have a PSP eye toy but I find mine a bit hazy , what are your secrets, is there a program I can download to get such a perfect result.

Ronnie

Wow! and I mean wow!!,

I have a PSP eye toy but I find mine a bit hazy , what are your secrets, is there a program I can download to get such a perfect result.

Ronnie

Mines same i dunno how got cam to work in dark

gunna try re download software

Need to download eye capture damn things wanting librarys shell 32 somet

wont start up maybe my computer

i have tested cam with drivers and CL-Eye Test in windows xp like guess need to use eye capture software once figure it out :clouds2:

Edited by Stargazing_Cliff

Mine keeps saying this when try installed eye capture

Please resolve the following:

A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine.

if have newer version why am i getting this with eye capture software

get this

Component Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x86) has failed to install with the following error message:

"Asia"

The following components failed to install:

- Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x86)

See the setup log file located at 'C:\DOCUME~1\CLIFFT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSDC9.tmp\install.log' for more information.

havent clue what all that is about how to get program to work anyone have any idea's

Edited by Stargazing_Cliff

Its a shame teh_orph is off line, I would love to find out how he managed to capture such a stunning image with the psp3 eye toy, I keep waiting for him to respond to my message. Everything I try just fails :)

I've been playing around with the EyeToy myself and much prefer it to the xbox cam. I've also been testing it for 10s exposures, just need to get it on the new mount and point it at a faint fuzzy :)

Hmm, rather interesting thread, would be cool to resolve some of the issues folks are having trying to replicate that excellent image at the start of thread.

My eyecam hasnt been used successfully yet, and its been put aside while testing out a 300D dslr body, but planetary imaging will always be a huge part of my astro-capers and soon as I get my new barlow the eyecam will be tried again.

That M42 image is amazing and many people would love to get images like it from a webcam, lets hope teh_orph returns to shed some light (hopefully faint and fuzzy ;))

Aenima

Very good capture of M42, it is always interesting to see how much people can get out of their equipment.

Thats nice really well done :) i think when you eventually get some better imaging equipment you r going to be very good at the dark side of astronmy again well done :icon_salut: