Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam Orion Nebula...WIP!

teh_orph

Would also love to hear the software/settings and what mount?

This evening observing the nebulosity with and without 0III filter so thought I'd give imaging a try on 2-3s exposures. Got focus on betelgeuse then slewed to approx location, dropped a 7m EP in place and centred the nebula, quickly replaced with the webcam .... nothing. Slewing around made no difference and tried this a few times before the clouds started rolling in.

Despite the cold and lack of success imaging I had a good night viewing/attempting images.

For reference the kit I was using:

Skywatcher 130/650 on Supatrak

Lx modded SPC900NC

Sharpcap (settings have been saved from successful Pleiades/star field attempts)

Im not expecting miracles from my kit I'm well aware this gear is far from ideal for imaging but if I can at least get something captured on the cam would be somewhere to start from!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been struggling badly the last nights to produce a result with my SPC900. I tried with IR filter, LP filter, 10s exposure, 600s exposure. The nebula NEVER appeared on any pic!!! What should I do? Please let us know ur settings and I invite everyone to try capturing a nebula DSO with a webcam!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Stargazing_Cliff, I came across this post on another forum which should let you take up to 10s subs with the PS3 Eye Toy:

Code Laboratories > Forums > EyeCapture - Save image sequences from the PS3Eye with timing information

Hope it makes sense!

Thanks for the info

just got another ps3 cam from the gama 2 quid worth getting like.

i even like microphone array system they have on cam quality sound it takes from 4 microphones that inside cam.

mite use one my ps3 cams as ghost hunting cam :)

You can see the trapezium even better than some of my DSLR shots. Love to see if you could further refine this stuff. I remember when starting out its this kind of thing that really inspired me. Nice one!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! and I mean wow!!,

I have a PSP eye toy but I find mine a bit hazy , what are your secrets, is there a program I can download to get such a perfect result.

Ronnie

Mine keeps saying this when try installed eye capture

Please resolve the following:

A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine.

if have newer version why am i getting this with eye capture software

get this

Component Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x86) has failed to install with the following error message:

"Asia"

The following components failed to install:

- Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x86)

See the setup log file located at 'C:\DOCUME~1\CLIFFT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSDC9.tmp\install.log' for more information.

havent clue what all that is about how to get program to work anyone have any idea's

Its a shame teh_orph is off line, I would love to find out how he managed to capture such a stunning image with the psp3 eye toy, I keep waiting for him to respond to my message. Everything I try just fails :)

• 6 months later...

Hmm, rather interesting thread, would be cool to resolve some of the issues folks are having trying to replicate that excellent image at the start of thread.

My eyecam hasnt been used successfully yet, and its been put aside while testing out a 300D dslr body, but planetary imaging will always be a huge part of my astro-capers and soon as I get my new barlow the eyecam will be tried again.

That M42 image is amazing and many people would love to get images like it from a webcam, lets hope teh_orph returns to shed some light (hopefully faint and fuzzy ;))

Aenima

Archived