Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam Orion Nebula...WIP!

teh_orph

Hello guys,

I'm really trying to avoid buying a DSLR and see how far I can go without having to spend a lot of money.

I've been trying to get enough data for M42 over the last few weeks and here's my result so far. Since I live on a busy (and a bit dangerous) main road I have to camp out the front of my house and hope people don't notice me! Plus out the front there's turbo light pollution. After doing my first long exposure a couple of night ago I might wait to complete this once Orion goes overhead and maybe to the west. I might have a go in IR too.

So - Skywatcher 130P, ~1 hour of shots at 4 seconds each on a very foggy night, polar aligned with WCS (made such a difference!), lots of faffing with DSS and touched up in CS5. Using a modified PS3 EyeToy camera and some custom software. The left is 150% of size - tbh I'm not sure if this was a good move or not so right is 100%!

oriononenight.pngorigsizeorion.png

Thanks for looking :)

Simon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats great detail captured Simon and strong colour, I started with an SC3 Toucam mono and got great images without autoguiding just tracking, got a years worth of fun before my DSLR time. Keep going as its great fun.

John.

Cheers guys, tbh I was a bit disappointed with the pic! I managed to get almost the same result (and more dark cloud) with one third of the exposure!

Ah what can you do, I blame society. And the fogging.

I did have more trapezium detail - I might make an extra pic of the centre but with less processing to bring out the detail.

This is a quite superb example of what can be done with an otherwise very basic setup. A lot of new members frequently ask what they can expect to see with a 130P and what they can do with a basic webcam, and I'm sure they'd be keen to see this.

The detail and colour you've drawn out, and symetry of the difraction spikes demonstrate the optical quality of a scope frequently recommended on the forum. And the roundness of the stars show the accuracy of tracking and alignnment. And this! through fog?? I'm really quite amazed - very well done! :)

• 1 year later...

Archived