Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Happy to meet you

HappySachs

Hi all, I've been posting for a few days and thought it was about time I showed my face in here.

Since I was a Kid I've been interested in Astronomy and wanted to pursue it as hobby, but for many reasons, be they money, location, or time I've not had an opportunity until now. My first telescope was purchased when I was a teen, it was a Tasco Newtonian reflector from Argos, after an evening in the bitter cold, under dressed and not really knowing what I was doing I returned the Telescope. Slightly dissuaded, the telescope idea went on the back burner until I could become more informed. School->college->uni->job, my aspiration was quitely surpressed in favour of work and other hobbies.

Over that time I aquired a few books and there were some brief spurts of research.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks back and a successful ebay bid on a pair of Fujinon 10x70 Binoculars, I now had something that I could begin observing with! The bins arrived but for the first few days there was cloud, lots of cloud, and fog too, darn it!. There was a short learning curve with the bins (first pair I'd ever owned) but I got to grips with them in a couple of days.

I had a planesphere and google furnished me with some targets, one website that kept turning up in my searches was this one. Impressed with what I saw I signed up and here I am now, pleased to meet you all :)

I'm very happy with the binoculars, even managing (via averted vision) to bag M81 last night through the cloud and light pollution, a telescope purchase is definately next on the agenda.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sachs,

A very warm welcome to SGL, bins are a very informative way of starting out in Astronomy, if you have not already, download Stellarium, then visit our bins section for details to a free program called TUBA, dedicated star maps for bins you can alter to suit your own requirements, then print for outside use, enjoy the forum.

John.

Archived