Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, Ganymede & Europa+shadow, SEB, ir742 & set of steak knives thrown in!

Kokatha man

Well, maybe the steak knives can only be collected if you come to my door.....the rest is certainly free to anyone who bothers to look....!

Taken the night before last (14th Nov) with poor seeing, a sky full of cloud & windy conditions that made keeping the planet + 2 moons on the small screen difficult to say the least (I'd ROI'd to pump the framerate up to 85fps)

I wasn't even going to bother taking an rgb (and even thought twice about processing it) but after sitting outside for a couple of hours a largish rift opened between 2 cloud banks and I ran an ir742nM avi.....the seeing was poor (around 6/10, certainly no more) but as there was still a tiny bit of clear space between the cloudbanks I cranked the fps up and shot this rgb sequence - although the edge of the 2nd bank of wall-to-wall cloud was already upon Jupiter, and the histogram was dipping several seconds before Torsten's FireCapture program's alarm beep signalled the end of the blue channel recording.....

Through the modern miracle of software ehancement a half-acceptable image was created:D - this one sharpened untill some grain is evident in an image I normally wouldn't bother with.....but the presence of both Ganymede and Europa, along with Europa's shadow about to egress Jupiter's disk, as well as the SEB outbreak clearly visible made me persist with it and post it here.....eager steak knife set acquirers can email me re picking them up from my place....!:):):p

post-16205-13387750237_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877502375_thumb.jpg

The IR is especially good with strong markings, I know what the wind has been like here in Brisbane waiting for Firecapture to get to 45sec without a gust blowing the channel all over the place and having to start again. Nice detail showing on Ganymede.

John.

Nice enough Image Darryl. I was out that night but got nothing of note.

Yours is surprisingly good given the conditions, and an interesting composition with the Moons.:)

I'm still saving for the steak :p. When I have enough I will be down to pick up a knife :)

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I think the rgb's saving grace is that it was a nice combination with the 2 moons and the shadow transit.....

Rob, did you have the clouds almost wall-to-wall up in the city....?

I ask that because Paul Haese posted a similar-ish image on CN from his C14 a little later than this one (marginally better, but pushed with grain slightly more) wherein he described the seeing as "good":eek:

You're both about 45 Kms from me, him in the Hills and you on the plain.....clouds seem to often materialise here (maybe 'cos we're on the coast) that others hereabouts don't even mention....?

Maybe without the clouds the seeing did improve as the night advanced (his was slightly later than mine, and the seeing - such as I glimpsed through the clouds earlier - had improved as time passed) or perhaps he was just a tad over-excited to get passable seeing, due to the abysmal run of seeing conditions we've had here in Adelaide this apparition..?!?:):D

But then again, as I said on CN, after we'd packed up - shortly after this rgb - the sky did its usual thing and the clouds disappeared....!:eek::(

The "portents" murmur of some possibly good conditions these next few nights.....I'll clean my filthy corrector plate this afternoon and see what the night-time brings....!:D:p:)

ps: sorry, but you wouldn't believe :eek: the number of European and American AA'ers that have been knocking on my doors since yesterday.....I'm completely out of steak knife sets for the moment.....but at the price of steak currently and your rate of saving, I might have a fresh lot in for the next promo session....!

You're a funny guy Darryl !

BTW nice looking jupiter's with the whole shebang.

Hey Freddy - I thought you said you'd be dropping by last night for your steak knives..!?!:):eek::(

Well anyway, you've gotta keep a sense of balance in this planetary imaging caper.....I mean, grown men lurking around in the dark night after night hoping for some bizarre weather conditions to allow us to grab short little movies of some distant objects....!:p:eek:

btw, Paul posted an image on another forum from later in the evening where the seeing had obviously improved significantly.....as I said above somewhere, after I'd packed everything away the sky suddenly became clear, and I wondered if the seeing had improved.....looks like it might have by his 2nd image - but as I said, we're loony enough with the time we spend out there.....the number of times I've dragged myself outside 3 or 4 nights in succession this Jupiter apparition for another sleepless night, hoping the seeing will get better has been incredible.....sometimes you've just gotta say "that's enough, I'm going to sleep!":icon_salut::)

Rob, did you have the clouds almost wall-to-wall up in the city....?

I ask that because Paul Haese posted a similar-ish image on CN from his C14 a little later than this one (marginally better, but pushed with grain slightly more) wherein he described the seeing as "good"

You're both about 45 Kms from me, him in the Hills and you on the plain.....clouds seem to often materialise here (maybe 'cos we're on the coast) that others hereabouts don't even mention....?

Maybe without the clouds the seeing did improve as the night advanced (his was slightly later than mine, and the seeing - such as I glimpsed through the clouds earlier - had improved as time passed) or perhaps he was just a tad over-excited to get passable seeing, due to the abysmal run of seeing conditions we've had here in Adelaide this apparition..?!?:):D

But then again, as I said on CN, after we'd packed up - shortly after this rgb - the sky did its usual thing and the clouds disappeared....!:eek::(

The "portents" murmur of some possibly good conditions these next few nights.....I'll clean my filthy corrector plate this afternoon and see what the night-time brings....!:D:p:)

ps: sorry, but you wouldn't believe :eek: the number of European and American AA'ers that have been knocking on my doors since yesterday.....I'm completely out of steak knife sets for the moment.....but at the price of steak currently and your rate of saving, I might have a fresh lot in for the next promo session....!

Darryl, the seeing here was rubbish, although it did seem to improve as the night wore on. I was glad when the cloud did come in as I was really pooped after my attempt at bricklaying up at Clare (more to come this weekend) so I took the hint and packed up, only to sit up for far too long processing rubbish. I must have been optimistic as I had a go at extracting some detail on Ganymede. No luck of course, but under the right conditions I think I might just crack it (that will probably be this weekend when I'm up at Clare:rolleyes: )

Good luck with the Imaging, and don't worry about the steak knives. Have you got any of those knives that will cut through tin cans, old boots and tomatoes. One of those will do instead:D

Good luck with the Imaging, and don't worry about the steak knives. Have you got any of those knives that will cut through tin cans, old boots and tomatoes. One of those will do instead:D

Ah, you want one of my "Brickies Knives" I suspect, the ones that cut through bricks to makes halves etc.....I'm planning a saturation TV campaign through K-Tel about them very soon....!:p:):)

Ah, you want one of my "Brickies Knives" I suspect, the ones that cut through bricks to makes halves etc.....I'm planning a saturation TV campaign through K-Tel about them very soon....!:(:):D

Thanks Darryl, That'll be just the thing to help me along in my fledgling career as a bricklayer :p up around Clare.

I'll be down to pick one up when I get a spare moment ;):rolleyes:

I believe you are busy creating havoc in the Yabby population, somewhere in the mallee? I hope You strike it lucky with the conditions, and can give the flea a real run:headbang:

Archived