Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

JamieH

How to Enter Coordinates into SynScan AZ GOTO Hand controller?

Hello. Would someone be able to tell me how to get the exact coordinates for the exact position my Skywatcher 70mm refractor telescope will be stood in or doesn't this matter too much.

For instance - Will Google maps give me a general set of coordinates which would be okay or do they have to be exact?

Also:

This is what I have written down from a site, I think it may have been multimaps.com, but how do I enter these into the Synscan controller, please?

LAT North 54degrees 50' 23"

LON West 2degrees 39' 45"

Hello. Would someone be able to tell me how to get the exact coordinates for the exact position my Skywatcher 70mm refractor telescope will be stood in or doesn't this matter too much.

For instance - Will Google maps give me a general set of coordinates which would be okay or do they have to be exact?

Also:

This is what I have written down from a site, I think it may have been multimaps.com, but how do I enter these into the Synscan controller, please?

LAT North 54degrees 50' 23"

LON West 2degrees 39' 45"

Enter your coordinates in the following order 002 40W, 54 50N. These will be close enough for the handset.

Peter

So how come I don't use the 23" of North or the 45" of West?

I think I get you now. I didn't know I had to read it backwards kind of.

I hope I've got it right.

Thanks,

Jamie

Edited by JamieH

Hi Cornelius Varley.

If these were my proper coordinates (Example follows)

LAT 55º 53' 30" North

LON 3º 45' 46" West

So does that mean I read it like this.

You said the handset only requires the degrees & minutes of my coordinates. So does this correspond to above (example) coordinates. As in this is how you would enter it into the SynScan 003 45W, 55 53N ?

Edited by JamieH

Don't forget that when entering the date it needs to be american format mmddyy and turn off daylight saving :)

Edited by brantuk

Hi Cornelius Varley.

If these were my proper coordinates

LAT 53º 51' 24" North

LON 1º 40' 42" West

So does that mean I read it like this.

You said the handset only requires the degrees & minutes of my coordinates. So does this correspond to my above coordinates 001 40W, 53 51N ?

Yes that's correct. Enter the longitude coordinate first, ignoring the seconds and then latitude, again ignoring the seconds.

Peter

Does it matter if the coordinates from house address or postcode are pointing the the house on the other side of the road?

Does it matter if the coordinates from house address or postcode are pointing the the house on the other side of the road?

No, the handset doesn't require the accuracy of a cruise missle to allow it to know where it is in the world. The coordinates as entered into the handset would work for any location within a minute of latitude and longitutude.

Peter

Edited by Cornelius Varley
  • Like 1

SO if I just put a green marker in my back garden & take the coordinates from that. Those coordinates will be sufficient for using my scope anywhere within my back or fornt garden? So how do I take the coordinates from this & put it into Latitude & Longitude. 55.865475,-2.356876

Edited by JamieH

Jamie - even if you went to that level of accuracy - your scope, mount, and electronics wouldn't be able to maintain it. You'd need a solid pier set in concrete with a highly accurate heavy duty mount and precision motors/encoders.

This sort of setup would be used for imaging typically.

Cornelius was quite correct when he said:

"the handset would work for any location within a minute of latitude and longitutude"

Your coords will work for anywhere in your garden (or next doors for that matter lol) :)

Hi brant. It's ok I went to Itouchmap.com & set a marker in my garden & just took the Lattitude & Longitude of a point. Should be fine now. LOLS. Brant I've tested the new tip that arrived from S n S. It's the correct one, the 2.1mm. It's in the right way. Tested with trusty multimeter at 12.24V so it's good & I won't damage my mount. Can't observe yet, theres been too many cloudy nights this week! By the weather looks of it, it's not going to get better anytime soon over here!

Edited by JamieH

Thats good news Jamie - glad you're sorted. Do try it out in the lounge first - get yourself accustomed to the controls/menus and how the scope moves around. It'll be a lot easier than trying everything first time in the dark :)

I cant believe I just now figured out, not to use the decimal longitude latitude but the one with degrees, minutes, seconds...

and I'm always upset about how badly my mount tracked...

:Envy:

Thanks I thought it would be that I set it up last night and aligned it to Polaris and Arcturus however when it skew to m57 it was a good way out so realigned it again and same thing? maybe I should use two different stars at greater distances to line it with and get a greater degree after accuracy

Thanks for the reply

Baz

32 minutes ago, barrie greenwood said:

Thanks I thought it would be that I set it up last night and aligned it to Polaris and Arcturus however when it skew to m57 it was a good way out so realigned it again and same thing? maybe I should use two different stars at greater distances to line it with and get a greater degree after accuracy

Thanks for the reply

Baz

Polaris is not a good star to align on.

Ahh right  how so? I thought it would be as its North and never moves I thought it would be one of the best so as to speak but I am a complete novice and don't know a great deal on this

Regards Baz

It makes sense if you think about it. Too close to the pole means less accuracy in ra. In its most extreme, the np has 90 deg dec but any ra will do. Further from the north pole is better. To close to the horizon will give refraction problems.

Use the stars suggested by the synscan if possible. The manul describes criteria for best stars.

Edited by wimvb

1 hour ago, barrie greenwood said:

Ahh right  how so? I thought it would be as its North and never moves I thought it would be one of the best so as to speak but I am a complete novice and don't know a great deal on this

Regards Baz

Polaris does move, but not much, which makes it less suitable for star alignment. Stars that are further away from the NCP give a greater degree of accuracy. 

• Like 1