sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Another Chinese Lantern Tale

Hi all

Last evening, a little after 6, there was a knock on the door, it was the neighbour who lives across from the back of our house. He told me that there was a fire on my roof. I quickly rushed outside and looked up to see two small flames sitting on the roof.

"I bet that's one of those Chinese lanterns," I said to him.

The flames were small and one went out as we watched. My wife wanted to call the fire brigade, but I said it wasn't necessary and the second fire soon went out.

There is a flat roofed concrete shed out in the back garden, I climbe don top of this with a ladder and the torch from my Powertank. Shining the light on the roof I could see the the fires were out and there was no damage, all that was left behind were what looked like two wads of dirty cotton wool and an orange hoop. This confirmed my belief that it was a Chinese lantern.

Do the people who launch these ridiculous things not realise that they are sending fire up into the sky and that it has to come down somewhere?

I believe that it is reckless behaviour and anyone who says that it is just harmless fun has never had a close encounter with one.

We were lucky this time, but how long will it be before one of them lands on the head of someone and causes some serious harm?

Or am I just:BangHead::):BangHead:

There are a lot of thatched roofs around where I live so your story is particularly worrying. I'm all for a bit of individual liberty, but do we need actually to have a house set on fire before something is done about this practice of sending naked flames to random locations with no control?

I was observing a few weeks back when I became aware of of a orange flickering glow when I was at the eyepiece so I looked up and saw a lantern skimming and nudging along my gutter as I had never seen one that close before I was quite surprised just how big it was

Kevin

I'm simply amazed that they haven't been banned yet. There have been dead animals, trees and crops on fire. Even a child burnt... and they're still legal?? I walked home from fireworks night to see trees and roofs absolutely covered in them.

Also, I'm sick of all the threads on here of people confusing them for something else :)

Yea, the Chinese lantern is a fire hazard and from what I gather it is banned in some parts of China for that vary reason. I think even if it is not banned in the UK, its release should be regulated.

Anyway, these lanterns are the job they were originally designed to do, not as some bringer of fortune but as an instrument of war. The ancient Chinese used these lantern to confuse astrologers in the opposite camp. They certainly do a fine job in annoying the modern astronomers.

Showed SWMBO her first one yesterday as we came out of the local supermarket, and even she voiced her concerned. In our town they are a right menace when they drift out to sea as the coastguard often gets called out to what someone believes is a distress flare. Distress is what most folk here would like to cuase to folk who luanch them!

Nice thought Carol, but I dare say they would be shot down by the guards. That is if they have got any bullets for their guns. No telling these days what with all the defence cuts.

My thought is this. do people actualy make these things are are they on sale? If they are on Sale then they can ban the sale of them. As with most things here I expect they would be imported from China. So putting an import ban on them would be simple. Time to write to your local MP folks

do people actualy make these things are are they on sale?

I think most of them are purchased but it would be very easy to make one from legal household materials ... unlike fireworks there is no need for potentially explosive substances and therefore no regulation under the 1875 Explosives Act. Home made ones might even be more dangerous than commercial ones.

The issue here is instilling a sense of responsibility, not trying to patch an issue with bans and extensions of the law. IMHO the existing laws relating to litter (causing detritus to be deposited on other peoples property) and arson (where destruction of property acutually occurs) are sufficient, they just need to be enforced.

They sell the things everywhere. prices from 1-3 pounds. My street and area is littered with them after Nov 5th. I've seen some of them really go up in flames when very low to the ground. They a menace and will cause a serious fire soon. The numbers of them released has risen in my area from zero to maybee 15 a night where I live.

I really dont understand it, even my kids think there boring to watch!

its great to see a thread on chinese laterns. because im in beijing and that is something I see often. it is often used during some holiday. but here in the B we see it often in a place called Hou Hai... Hoe High.... A famous bar street for visitors.

yea that can be a problem so this is why I never tried it. But I have seen some big ones which were about 1 meter in diameter. :)

They will never be able to ban them, any more than they could ban fireworks - which in my opinion are every bit as dangerous.

I agree, although I do think that the lanterns look lovely, until they set something else alight.

kelly :)

I know I shouldn't laugh, but the link by HappySachs advertises them used? What do you get, a wad of burnt out material and the remnants of the hoop?

Also I can't believe the size of those in the image. Where will it end? Hot air balloon sized?